Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jbl 075 (bullet) comparison

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jbl 075 (bullet) comparison
    Posted: 20 February 2020 at 11:46pm
Lucky day for me, a friend gave me two jbl 075 bullettweeters.
Diaphragms are fried though. Has anybody tried using el-cheapo aftermarket diaphragms from china? Price for an original one is 150 euro, and you can get 4 imitations for 20 euros... nit really fond of not buying local but this is a really huge price gap. On other forums people are missing the real sparkle but graphs show no real difference under 7khz and a loss of between 1 and 4 dB(A) above. The tweeters are to support a broadband speaker in an onken design to be used during smaller gardenparties.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2020 at 12:20am
If you go over to Lansing Heritage Forum, there should be a good amount of feedback using non-original replacement diaphragms in JBL Tweeters. There may even be measured graphs as well. What separates the original from the copies in any diaphragm is the roll-off of the higher frequencies. The 075 is good to around 15 kHz whereas, the 077 is around 21 kHz with the original diaphragm.

You cannot attain sparkle if you have nothing around 14 kHz.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 21 February 2020 at 12:22am
Elliot Thompson
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2020 at 7:23am
In my idea a regular 40-year old punter would be practical deaf above 15k.. thats a wrong assumption?
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2020 at 12:39pm
Only a chosen few can hear beyond 15 kHz at any age group. If that were not the case, there would be tweeters flat from 10 kHz - 20 kHz in abundance in the pro audio industry.

Best Regards,  
Elliot Thompson
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2020 at 5:41pm
I have had some poor experiences with cheap annular diaphragms - a couple of years back a client had me make boxes for sixteen bullet tweeters, made by "MNC" and sold as "150 Watt Bullet Tweeter" for around £16 on eBay. 
On arrival, I noticed some of the front parts and bullet pieces were loose so disassembled one to find out why. It turned out the diaphragms did not fit properly, having been manufactured with too long a VC former to fit in the gap (or maybe the gap wasn't as deep as it should have been). Visually, they looked exactly like cheaper, shinier copies of the JBL 075, right down to the 10/32 UNC threaded mounting holes (unusual to find imperial fixings on China parts). So the assembly had been left slightly loose in order to not totally pinch the VC and allow *some* output....

SO I would expect that any China diaphragm sold as a replacement for the 075 will in fact be one of these mis-manufactured ones. I mean at £5 each it's worth a punt to see if they've corrected their mistake yet. But Don't expect great things from them.....
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2020 at 8:50pm
Ok,tried lots of diaphragms in these....the originals are by far the best....the 5 quid chinese copies make a noise,but are dramatically less-efficient and thus not as loud....i would guess inferior coil wire and tolerances,and inferior diaphragm materials. If you play a JBL with a fake diaphragm next to a genuine one, you will immediately spot it.

I have been told the Radian ones are the best of the copies, but those are not a fiver.

Be seeing you.
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2020 at 9:48pm
The only way to learn is trying so i ordered some diapraghms off aliexpress and if anybody tells you they are okay-ish DO NOT BELIEVE THEM!

Fit and sizing and buildquality seem okay untill you turn them on... no real output whatsoever even after mounting a thin spacer and nothing above 10k. 
my children were gaming in the same room while testing, nothing happened. then i turned on the driver with the original diaphragm; they ran out of the room with their ears covered.....
Cyklist View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyklist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2020 at 10:42am
where can you get original ones? am looking for a pair
purple monkey dishwasher
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2020 at 11:01am
you have to look for these parts numbers: JBL D8R075 or JBL D8R2402 
Cyklist View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyklist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2020 at 10:01am
you stated in your first post original replacement for 150, where did you find them available for this price? cheers
purple monkey dishwasher
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 1:49pm
Im afraid i didn’t notice they were sold out everywhere....
 Post Reply Post Reply