Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

peavey dth218b subs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: peavey dth218b subs
    Posted: 21 February 2020 at 9:48am
Aquired some peavey subs a year or so back. Very cheap a gift so to speak. 2 x dth and 2 x bwx. So diched the bwx and made two more dth. wired them in parallel. very wrong really wrong.
Peavey say they are parallel. They do not work. In series they work fine.
Anyone had any experience with them? The ones I got are in series so 16r box.
I am hoping for Elliot T to help me. Regards Elliot.
Whats the deal here. Confused. 16r or 4r. Wrong drivers I might add. 1801-8 and 1808-8. But they work. Original 1888-8 I think. Not the concert series.
No peavey flaming stuff please I know they are crap that isn't the point here.
Thanks for any help.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2020 at 1:13pm
Did you try bypassing the Speakon connections all together and connect the loudspeakers directly to the amplifier?

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2020 at 1:54pm
no I didn't. You can do that.NL 8 on the back. I don't think it would make much difference. In parrallel the woofers work with each other so one is pushing the other to xmax with very few watts. Also clear canceling no sound coming out atall. All very strange. Like I said in series they work fine.
Would inderpendent amp cahnnels stop that? That would be quite annoying 8 x amp channels for 4 boxes. Not sure I can be botherd.
The ones I bought have been run in series for atleast 10 yrs that I know of. Came out of a local club. Maybe explain why they survived so long. people thinking that they were 4r and really being 16r. I got 20 black widows out of the club and 8 were fried and two had broken tinsel wires. The rest had chafing magnets as usual. Nothing a ball paine hammer couldn't fix.
Thanks for the reply Elliot.
Are they a push pull ar a push push. I think the design looks like they should be in phase. Not your average 218 br
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2020 at 2:21pm
The Peavey DTH subs are a push pull design cabinet so the driver that faces backwards needs to be wired backwards(reverse phase) live wire to neutral speaker terminal and neutral wire to live speaker terminal.
This will sort your problem out and all of a sudden you will have proper bass.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2020 at 2:50pm

Okay.

The Peavey 18 inch woofers you own offer the following resistive values.

Peavey Black Widow 1801-8 resistive load: 6.5 ohms

Peavey Black Widow 1808-8 resistive load: 7.27 ohms

This means the drivers nominal load is between 10 – 12 ohms each. That is not taking in account the inductance (fs & Le) which, will be higher than the nominal load. Once wired in series, the nominal load is 20 – 24 ohms.

For a push pull configuration, the speakers need to be wired out of phase in series using the following method;

+ (Red) - (Black) → - (Black) + (Red) as opposed to, + (Red) - (Black) → + (Red) - (Black)

For a push pull configuration, the speakers need to be wired out of phase from one another using the parallel method.

The woofers are rated as follows

Peavey Black Widow 1801-8

350 watts continuous

700 watts program

Peavey Black Widow 1808-8

500 watts continuous

1000 watts program

Don't expect any significant below 42 Hz for Peavey did not design that box to go very low.

If I forgotten something let me know.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2020 at 8:00pm
Tbf they ain't a great box, but they can sound pretty good. 
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2020 at 4:18am
They work well for what I am doing with them. Bit honkey for my liking.
Big thanks to all the replys. I do understand parralell and series and push pull and the values of the drivers. But thanks.
The point was The maker implies (doesnt quite say) That they should be in parralell. That is why I was confused. Like I said I have them working very well in series. Pumping it out. I have four running off a qsc pl4. Not getting anywere near program power. But enough for most normal people. Remember I am 100v.
Once again thanks . So in series they shall stay.
Would like to hear some beefy drivers in this box. could go pretty loud I think.
Another thing is the peavey originals have glass wool stuffing mine don't really can't hear any difference. But low passed at 90hz so could be why.
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2020 at 4:19am

The ones I made if anyone was wondering what they look like.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2020 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by doller doller wrote:

Another thing is the peavey originals have glass wool stuffing mine don't really can't hear any difference. But low passed at 90hz so could be why.

Fibre Glass was included to dampen the resonance (Ringing Effect) at certain frequencies. Many that want that ringing effect will take out the fibre glass.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2020 at 10:19pm
Nail on the head again Elliot. I prefer them without. Bit more punch. Thanks again for your help.
 Post Reply Post Reply