Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building A Sound System From Scratch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
nejten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nejten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building A Sound System From Scratch
    Posted: 29 June 2020 at 5:23pm
Advice I can give at this stage is be patient and learn as much as you can about soundsystems and everything related to it! I have started pretty recently with my soundsystem, and I wish I started it now instead of a year ago when I almost knew nothing. If you dont mind making mistakes and spending more because of them, ignore this advice but I personally wanted to get it right from the start! This is a hobby where you will never EVER stop learning new stuf. I bet the sound guru's on this forum still learn new stuff all the time. Also dont be scared to ask lots of questions. The audio community is very friendly (most of the timeWink) so dont hesitate messaging people on fb or on speakerplans. 

Good luck with your project!
From small acorns oak trees grow.
Jago View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2020 at 4:49pm
Man you sound like you know what you're talking about. I know nothing about building a sound. Equipment connection etc I don't realise there is so much calculation and ohms ohm involved. I've always been a mic man back in the day. Never did trouble the rig. I just want to build something for my yard 1x18 bin 1x15 1x tops then double up from that. I'd love to build my own box so looking into the skills I need in wood work. Hated it in school. I've got fbq Beringer and a crown xls 1002 drivecore amp. I know I need more amps and looking at macro tech 3600vc or QSC. I'm yet to get a drive rack maybe something from dbx. Any help will be appreciated 
el chupacabra View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el chupacabra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2020 at 10:22pm
https://www.facebook.com/groups/FabricationDeCaissons/ may also be helpful for occasional second hand info, being that you're just over the border. worth asking existing crews in Basque & Catalonia if they have similar forums. 

take your time, learn until it is second nature. don't get carried away with yourself and blow all your money. the point about second hand pro audio coming up as companies everywhere liquidate excess inventory is spot on.
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2020 at 10:04pm
rig re-sale on facebook and other pages like it are great. ebay ebay ebay.
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
Onwundinjo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onwundinjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2020 at 7:57pm
Aha nice, will take a look at the X1'S as well.

Could you point me in a couple of places to look in terms of buying second hand kit.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onwundinjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2020 at 7:54pm
I hear ya! Not gonna drop 10k in one go. Will take a modular approach with something that I can duplicate / quadruple . Over the years hopefully get where we want to 

Just moved to Spain recently and there are woodwork shops where they provide the wood ect and machinery so hopefully that will save some wood costs.

We have some friends here that have a rig set up, so will go and check it out and see how they engineer it and set it up.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2020 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Onwundinjo Onwundinjo wrote:

Awesome! Thanks guys for your feedback! Didn't expect to get so many responses.

Been thinking about your questions for the last couple of days.

Looking to play in pubs / warehouses / outdoors for 100+ people. In terms of budget I would say that we would be prepared to spend a £10,000 for the full project. I am a big fan of channel one soundsystem and would like to build something similar in terms of the style.

I will be taking carpentry courses to give the skills to build the boxes and will be renting out a warehouse spaces to build the boxes where they will have machinery to help us build the boxes.

So been thinking of initially starting with two 18" scoops

Then a g sub to sit on top of the two scoops

And One of these to sit on top of the G subs

From here I will take a look a must read section on the blog and a further read of the scoop forum. But keen to hear what your thoughts are on the rough outline far.

If I hadn't learned to drive, I wouldn't be looking to put down £10k on a car straight away. Just something to consider!

If you are serious, the trick is to take a gradual and modular approach where you can build a system by either starting with less cabs and adding more as time goes on, e.g. doubling of one stack to two. Or perhaps start with less frequency bands, and add more as time goes on.

Of the two suggestions, the first is probably more sensible.

Also you may just want to buy decent second hand kit to kick off, learning the tricks and tips of building your own is perhaps best done in parallel with learning how to set up and engineer something that has already been proven. That's the complete opposite of what I did 20 years ago of course, but then there wasn't the availability of decent used equipment that there is now.
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2020 at 7:08pm
Just build gsubs.
Or buy something pro. 
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2020 at 7:04pm

Edited by Digbethdave - 18 March 2020 at 7:05pm
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2020 at 7:02pm
If you want to 'build it' then get ready with 5-6k for wood, drivers and all the other little bits that add up to '000, then amps and cabling etc etc etc…

Honestly that's only an option if you're loaded, really want to actually build speakers rather than use them and have lots of time (we all got that right now)

The reality is that many many sound companies are going to be selling off a hell of a lot of kit over the next month or two, great quality pro audio at steal prices... Not to put too fine a point on it you just hit what's likely to be the biggest shake up in Pro audio provision in the UK....ever. Get your cash ready, decide what you're looking for and be ready to travel for it. you could quite easily build a 25k rig for 5k in the next couple of months.

I would go for X1's or some really well made reflex over scoops, scoops are very over rated imho. Out of phase, distorted, they play one sound ok'ish... if you like that kinda sound ok.. They are ubiquitous to a particular scene but ...meh. There are louder, cleaner sounding bins that play dub music well and will give you a bit of individuality and you'll spank many scoop rigs in head to heads..
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2020 at 5:59pm
Hi
Go for scoops if you want that vibe. Be careful to choose a design with proper drivers available and don't stick random 18s in it. Plenty to read in the scoop forum.
Reflex midbass is a solid choice but maybe I would choose a more updated design than G sub, something built around modern drivers, check also loudspeaker producers suggested designs.
Channel One uses hornloaded midbass instead, you could look into hd15 or es18 for some trusted options.
Instead of one mt122 I would build 2 mt121 - as I did - better dispersiin, plenty loud even above 4 subwoofers, just choose a good 1.4 or 2 inch compression driver.
Look also at smt112, visually similar but easier to build, and with good drivers still very loud.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onwundinjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2020 at 2:38pm
Awesome! Thanks guys for your feedback! Didn't expect to get so many responses.

Been thinking about your questions for the last couple of days.

Looking to play in pubs / warehouses / outdoors for 100+ people. In terms of budget I would say that we would be prepared to spend a £10,000 for the full project. I am a big fan of channel one soundsystem and would like to build something similar in terms of the style.

I will be taking carpentry courses to give the skills to build the boxes and will be renting out a warehouse spaces to build the boxes where they will have machinery to help us build the boxes.

So been thinking of initially starting with two 18" scoops

https://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=18superscooper - https://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=18superscooper

Then a g sub to sit on top of the two scoops

https://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=gsub - https://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=gsub

And One of these to sit on top of the G subs

https://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=mt122 - https://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=mt122

From here I will take a look a must read section on the blog and a further read of the scoop forum. But keen to hear what your thoughts are on the rough outline far.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>