Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sound and Lighting Bargains

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 7:11am
Kyles Incubus system is hardly a bargain at 50k, you are getting some 7 year old plywood and fiberglass boxes with some drivers in and that is all, no amps no dsp, look at it that way and this great deal falls flat, on a personal note I have never been impressed with it for what it costs, remember what the same volume of RC1 rig did to it, even adding 6 x nexus xl 21" horns to Incubus couldn't get close, £50k hmmm.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 7:39am
As Woody2 said, its all just firewood now...unless you have a use for it. The worth in items is now what they can earn you in the future , not what you can sell them for now. Off course i sympathize greatly with those who need to liquidate assets to pay costs or service debts, but realistically of your business is built on debt it may be best to accept the situation and bale rather than fight the inevitable.

Im just waiting for 18 sound to confirm that they are on track to send out a pallet of drivers that they have building for me ( i like 16 ohm so much of my stuff is special order), paid for 6 weeks ago, so looks like I’ll actually be building the new boxes I've been designing for the last few months. It’s actually quite nice to get on with some of this stuff. I actually sat down at my bench yesterday and soldered up some new socapex - speakon patch boxes and didn’t get bothered once! Heaven...
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
wires View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 8:05am
Originally posted by concept-10 concept-10 wrote:

Kyles Incubus system is hardly a bargain at 50k, you are getting some 7 year old plywood and fiberglass boxes with some drivers in and that is all, no amps no dsp, look at it that way and this great deal falls flat, on a personal note I have never been impressed with it for what it costs, remember what the same volume of RC1 rig did to it, even adding 6 x nexus xl 21" horns to Incubus couldn't get close, £50k hmmm.

Come on man, was there any need for that post?
You probably meant that from an honest perspective, but they are only doing what they can to stay liquid. 
I don’t know those guys well but It’s not likely they want to sell it in the first place.
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 8:16am
Sound like your in a similar position to me Chris. 

I’m currently getting a list of things to do together.

I’ve got a C7 system that I want to strip back to wood and paint with Raptor. Also thinking about doing my L’Acoustics Subs with Black raptor but unsure on that.

50+ sheets of deck to paint also.......

www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 8:34am
Originally posted by bin juice24 bin juice24 wrote:

Do people sell stuff on Facebook? I thought it was just smack for housewives.
I’m reluctant to open an account, is there a way of viewing the relevant pages without signing up?

no disrespect but mate, if you want second hand gear, be that smack or PA you really need to get yourself on the biggest social selling network ever created... reluctant to open an account. I just got whisked back to 2008 there for a moment..

Ken Hughes (shermann) is selling 4x R118s right now for 1400 I think. Perfect order, new foams Now that's some serious analogue sub for pennies on the ££. you wont find those on ebay or gumtree.
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 9:34am
Originally posted by wires wires wrote:

You probably meant that from an honest perspective, but they are only doing what they can to stay liquid. 
I don’t know those guys well but It’s not likely they want to sell it in the first place.

It was not meant in any way how you are thinking, It was an honest assessment of the value of some boxes and drivers regardless of the current climate, I have never rated Incubus from a sound to cost ratio, it was not a dig at Kyle or his team in any way, I could list a lot of older kit that sounds far superior to most Viod rigs for a lot less money, if someones thinks it is a bargain and buys it then good on them, however all I did was say it's just boxes and drivers for a lot of money.

wires View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 10:08am

Originally posted by wires wires wrote:

It was not meant in any way how you are thinking, It was an honest assessment of the value of some boxes and drivers regardless of the current climate, I have never rated Incubus from a sound to cost ratio, it was not a dig at Kyle or his team in any way, I could list a lot of older kit that sounds far superior to most Viod rigs for a lot less money, if someones thinks it is a bargain and buys it then good on them, however all I did was say it's just boxes and drivers for a lot of money.

That’s fair, but regardless I kindly feel it’s not a needed post at this time. 
Plus with these sort of products image and presentation plays a big part in the hire return on them; a strong selling point.
Bit like RC1; if anyone else other than the actual RC1 crew used their main system would it have the same unique selling point?... most likely not.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Noyzmunky Noyzmunky wrote:

Originally posted by bin juice24 bin juice24 wrote:

Do people sell stuff on Facebook? I thought it was just smack for housewives.
I’m reluctant to open an account, is there a way of viewing the relevant pages without signing up?

no disrespect but mate, if you want second hand gear, be that smack or PA you really need to get yourself on the biggest social selling network ever created... reluctant to open an account. I just got whisked back to 2008 there for a moment..

Ken Hughes (shermann) is selling 4x R118s right now for 1400 I think. Perfect order, new foams Now that's some serious analogue sub for pennies on the ££. you wont find those on ebay or gumtree.

many people don't use facebook and don't want to.
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 10:38am
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 12:46pm
Yes Jace, ive always been very cautious financially and use no finance or borrowing within the business whatsoever. I also employ only freelancers or other limited companies as subcontractors- although that decision was more due to keeping my stress levels low ( I used to be a director of a much larger company and was hence responsible for other people’s earnings and mortgages, and always found that responsibility stressful at quiet times of year) so my standing costs are literally the lease on my warehouse. Which is due for re-negotiation in 3 months...handy

I dont mean this to come across as smug, it is not, its simply always been my ethos that i dislike the principle of debt. It makes growing a business much slower of course but at least no one can knock on the door for there money or assets and in times like these that’s invaluable.

Ive even rattled off last quarters vat return ( i still run my accounts manually on excel, tried QuickBooks but found that it “disconnected “ me from how the business was functioning ) this morning, next quarters may well be zero!
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

many people don't use facebook and don't want to.

Totally understandable and those people never get the opportunity to buy seriously good kit that never reaches ebay or other platforms.., many people don't like using ebay either.
You make your choice, but if you want second hand audio, staging, lighting etc kit straight from the Pro hire companies at good prices you're probably best getting on facebook marketplace. If you don't 'want' to, well that's personal choice, and your opportunities will be commensurately smaller.
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

Yes Jace, ive always been very cautious financially and use no finance or borrowing within the business whatsoever. I also employ only freelancers or other limited companies as subcontractors- although that decision was more due to keeping my stress levels low ( I used to be a director of a much larger company and was hence responsible for other people’s earnings and mortgages, and always found that responsibility stressful at quiet times of year) so my standing costs are literally the lease on my warehouse. Which is due for re-negotiation in 3 months...handy

I dont mean this to come across as smug, it is not, its simply always been my ethos that i dislike the principle of debt. It makes growing a business much slower of course but at least no one can knock on the door for there money or assets and in times like these that’s invaluable.

Ive even rattled off last quarters vat return ( i still run my accounts manually on excel, tried QuickBooks but found that it “disconnected “ me from how the business was functioning ) this morning, next quarters may well be zero!

It’s the only way to operate Chris.

I have my VAT bill due mid May, but that’s in the separate VAT account. Do all mine via Quickbooks, bit lazy like that!

Paid all my freelancers yesterday from last months shows. So only outgoings from business account will be the rent. 

Stuffed it a little bit as I invested all my saved penny’s last month on a couple high profile items ready for the summer. Should have saved it all for the mass Facebook fire sale that’s coming.

I am going to sale off all those little items I’ve collected over the years that are just sat on pallets collecting dust, not been financially viable to waste my time on until now.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>