Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sound and Lighting Bargains

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 2:24pm
Jacethebase
Any solar 250's?
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

Yes Jace, ive always been very cautious financially and use no finance or borrowing within the business whatsoever...

... its simply always been my ethos that i dislike the principle of debt. It makes growing a business much slower of course but at least no one can knock on the door for there money or assets and in times like these that’s invaluable.

That's now regarded as a very old fashioned attitude but it's really the only sensible way to operate if you want to stay in business indefinitely. The idea that businesses must pursue constant growth, and borrow to achieve it, is fundamentally unsustainable. Maybe this global economic shock, coming only a decade after the bonus-driven banking crash, will change people's minds.

But I still think it will take a long time for the entertainment industry, at all levels, to recover. People will be much more cautious after being clobbered a second time so soon after the last one.

And a lot of traditional conference work will probably be gone forever if this encourages the wider use of videoconferencing.  Renting out packages (and expertise) for participants might be a good line to get into. Much better for the environment too...

jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Digbethdave Digbethdave wrote:

Jacethebase
Any solar 250's?

Not here I’m afraid chap, if I see any I’ll point you in the direction.

Jace

www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 5:42pm

Jacethebase
Any solar 250's?

DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
bin juice24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin juice24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

I disagree. People will be keener than ever for social contact and good experiences once the worst passes. Yes there will be debt, but there always has been. Its now the model much of our society is built on, and many that carry that debt don’t ever expect to pay it back.
Im not down about the economic outlook at all. It may well change my business fundamentally, but in my mind thats an opportunity not a problem.
Ive always kept my operation relatively small, with flexible, personal service. Low operating costs, zero debt and a friendly personal service are going to be very attractive in the coming times.

I can see that this situation is frightening to those who are over exposed to debt or unwilling or unable to change the structure of their life or business, but my mantra has always been never to worry about those things over which i have no control and concentrate on the things you can influence for the better. Ive always found that very liberating as it frees you of much of the stress that modern life tries to push onto you.

Great post. I may try and enter the industry at the worst time. If your business can be profitable in a recession, happy days.
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2020 at 10:57am
On the subject of bargains, and it may well not be in the UK, but I just got 2 x CDJ850 for $650 aud which is about 300 quid at current exchange rates and about half the standard going rate for them.

Given I have put off buying CDJ's for the last 2 years due to the expense on something I will only ever use at home I am stoked with that, especially when I just sold 2 amps for a total of $630 so they only actually took $20 of liquid money.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2020 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by madboffin madboffin wrote:

It's not only businesses.

Since the last economic crash, the Government has been encouraging a debt-fuelled economic recovery. In other words, consumers have been buying lots of things on credit. When entire households suddenly lose their income, they won't be able to maintain the payments.

And it's all very well to offer mortgage holidays, but what about renters? Consider the following:

I know 4 young people who share a flat in London. They all work in the events industry on conferences and gigs.  One is in catering and the other three do AV/Sound for hire companies. They are all self-employed and with all current and future work now cancelled, the entire household now has zero income. Next month they won't be able to pay the rent. Or utilities bills.

The landlord is not a dodgy buy-to-letter. The flat belongs to his 80-something mother who is in a privately run care home. The rent pays the cost of her care. Will she be thrown out on the street in a couple of months time (assuming she survives that long), or will the landlord have to evict all the tenants so he can put the flat up for sale (in a crashing market) ?

Doesn't it pass on down the line? Their ret is frozen, her rent is frozen, care home gets 80% of paye for staff. Not ideal I know.
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2020 at 9:51pm
My business has always been kept small and agile. Thankfully no debt either. I'll be spending it servicing bits and bobs and selling off a few little things. I do need more amps tho.
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2020 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by madboffin madboffin wrote:

It's not only businesses.

Since the last economic crash, the Government has been encouraging a debt-fuelled economic recovery. In other words, consumers have been buying lots of things on credit. When entire households suddenly lose their income, they won't be able to maintain the payments.

no it hasn't.

labour fuelled the debt economy-

concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2020 at 6:55am
That graph only looks like that because credit became harder to get after the crash, it wiuld look a lot worse if credit was as easy.
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2020 at 10:44am

Jacethebase
Any solar 250's?

Ive got quite a few wheels, lenses, motors etc

drop me a pm if theyre of interest and Ill try to sort out a list and some photos

Edited by godathunder - 24 March 2020 at 10:47am
LOUDER THAN LOUD
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2020 at 12:28pm
I’d certainly be interested. I have 4 solars here and no accessories since I lent them to a mate and their van got nicked. Pm me. I ain’t got much cash as you’d imagine but it’d be good to know what I might be able to get.
blah blah blah blah blah......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>