Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Midtop recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djketley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Midtop recommendations
    Posted: 19 March 2020 at 10:56am
Hi folks!

New to the fourm but I've recently built 4 mogale super scoops loaded with pd1850/2 drivers.

I'll be the first to admit I'm fairly new to the sound system scene and we are currently building a system for fun more than anything else I'm looking for some recommendations for what kind of midtops I should build and which drivers are recommended. The music that will be primarily played on this would be jungle/drum & bass. 

I hope this post doesn't come across too newbiesh I've just seen a lot of conflicting information on the Web.

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by djketley - 19 March 2020 at 10:56am
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2020 at 11:14am
Hi djketly.. no problem for asking the question.. we all start somewhere..

My 2 pence: scoops = great choice of bass bin for jungle/dnb.. only thing you need to consider is scoops generally sound best crossed fairly low ie 60-90 hz or there abouts.. now what that means for you is you are gonna need more of a 'full range' cab to go above the scoops if you want a one box solution.. or have a 'kick' or 'upper bass' box between scoops and mid tops..  

I would say if its just for fun etc.. seek out some full range cabs on the second hand market and start making some noise/having fun with your set..

Good luck with your journey into sound-system!
Reverence Sound system

djketley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djketley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2020 at 11:32am
Originally posted by dj jammin dj jammin wrote:

Hi djketly.. no problem for asking the question.. we all start somewhere..

My 2 pence: scoops = great choice of bass bin for jungle/dnb.. only thing you need to consider is scoops generally sound best crossed fairly low ie 60-90 hz or there abouts.. now what that means for you is you are gonna need more of a 'full range' cab to go above the scoops if you want a one box solution.. or have a 'kick' or 'upper bass' box between scoops and mid tops..  

I would say if its just for fun etc.. seek out some full range cabs on the second hand market and start making some noise/having fun with your set..

Good luck with your journey into sound-system!

Thanks jammin! I'm quite enjoying the whole woodworking aspect of it too to be fair. I might go down the root of doing mids and tops then plus it looks cooler. 😂 

dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2020 at 12:23pm
Maybe build a couple of DM-2 on the SP mid-top plans..
Reverence Sound system

Natedub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natedub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2020 at 3:43pm
I would suggest buying some pro audio mid highs secondhand and refurbishing them if you fancy a project. Stuff from the likes of turbosound, martin audio, EAW etc. There are some incredible bargains to be had if you shop around and will often be cheaper than the materials/drivers to build some. 

Edited by Natedub - 21 March 2020 at 3:47pm
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2020 at 9:37pm
decide on a budget and get a set of full range cabs. Maybe twin 15'' to keep up with the scoops and raise your tops up above peoples heads..

Get on the second hand pages and sites and get your eye in for whats coming up in the next few weeks. The fire sale is starting. I just saw a pair of EV 15'' powered 1000w each full range cabs go up for sale at 500. They would do you very well.
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
BASSHORSE View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BASSHORSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2020 at 6:31am
yes pro second hand is the way to go,..i brought some rcfs vision 15/2" for just over 160 each,.material wise youl be touching nearly a grand if it was a diy build,.

lickweed View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lickweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2020 at 7:15pm
got D.A.S reference r215,if you are intrested
http://www.liquidsound.co.uk/
 Post Reply Post Reply