Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Generators

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fleetaudiosbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generators
    Posted: 19 March 2020 at 12:53pm
hello I’m just wondering what genny power I’d need to run the following equipment, forgive my lack of knowledge.

1 x pkn xe6000
2 x qsc 4050
1 x qsc 2450
2x pioneer 850k
1x djm750
2 x equinox pegasus
2 x scanner (forgot the name)

Would I be best running amps off one and lasers/decks off another?

People keep saying I need to add my power up and double it but Iv seen people run more stuff that that of a 15k? 

Just been told a few different things and would like to settle what I actually need, thanks in advance 
Chris Grimshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2020 at 2:43pm
Well, a 1KVA generator will probably get everything to power up.

What sort of load will the amplifiers see, and how hard are you going to be pushing?

Chris
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com
Fleetaudiosbh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fleetaudiosbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2020 at 2:47pm
We would be running 6 void v1000 off the pkn, 4 pd186 off each 4050 & two peavy 215 off the 2450. Is like to say we don’t always push them but there’s a time or two where we’ve seen what it can do but this was on mains.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2020 at 3:49pm
Your scanners caught my attention first, because discharge lighting can have a heavy (constant) current load. But you say 'laser'- in which case you should be ok with a 15kVA genny.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2020 at 4:07pm
Minumumspec 12kva/15Kva genset with AVR, Music the power draw can be quite dynamic so add a couple of Kw of constant static load parcans or similar keep the voltage steady. Big is beautiful  
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
Fleetaudiosbh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fleetaudiosbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 9:17am
Thanks guys, forgot to mention the ultradrive but I’m sure that wouldn’t have too much affect on what we need?
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 9:28am
Even genset with AVR can have troubles running some hefty material (have seen it myself). 
I always use x2 on power, so 30 KVA or something. Most of the times they are not that much more expensive and the weight difference is minimal in some cases.
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2020 at 11:08am
Honda EU65is (6.5KVA) will power that lot no worries, everyone always massively overestimates generator requirements just make sure you have some flood lights (around 200w worth) to put some static load on it.

I use one of these all the time with my rig and it thumps.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
Boxes-R-Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxes-R-Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2020 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by 4D 4D wrote:

Minumumspec 12kva/15Kva genset with AVR, Music the power draw can be quite dynamic so add a couple of Kw of constant static load parcans or similar keep the voltage steady. Big is beautiful  

Ford has hit eh nail on the head here.

Genset track VERY badly from 5-50% loading, like complete crap.

Put a 200KVA set down on that load and expect havoc, size isn't your friend here, trick is to move the set up so that the audio load is causing it to track in the 15-120% region (yes a genset will take continuous 20% overload peaks as they have a "motor start duty" so 20% overload in nothing for a few cycles.

Discharge lights are great for constant load, but make bloody sure they have PFC caps in!

A small set (<45KVA) may have a 0.9 or worst Power factor, so you could slam 40KW of tungsten light on it (or other near "unity" load) but power amps are no nice load, your QSC will be be reactive with an adverse power factor and you PKNcould well use 6 pulse inversion which cause massive current distortion and de-rates your genset through the floor.

It is  real option to stuff 2KW of halogen floodlights or even a fan heater on full to buffer your machine and move it into the "happy-zone" of load tracking.

It has been said on here "meter your mains" I really would consider making sure you have the means to do this, Volts, Hz and PF being you main concern (amps less so) if your frequency is all over the shop then your set is being stalled by your load (IE the motor speed drop due to lack of HP and then over runs as the governor fires in more fuel to compensate) if you volts are all over you have AVR tracking issues (remember 10% Over voltage will F8ck most kit) and if you PF is moving around like thong on prom night you have found out why your AVR has the right raging hump!

Also, use a blood thick cable from you set to your rig, 15KVA in single phase mode is 60A, so 16mm2, if you going more than 20M use 25mm2, it really does make a MASSIVE difference not having a feeder cable flying around like Billy Sheenan's E-string!

Kinda Been there, Kinda done that, YOU COULDN'T handle my bar bill!
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2020 at 8:50am

Whats the % of max output that would be valid as a static load? 5%? 10%? 15%?

On a 2kva gen would a 100w lightbulb in a desk lamp be enough to offer a stabilising factor? or maybe a bit more... 250w twister light?

I ask because it's a little 2.5k max gen that I use to run the rig at the storage for background. It only runs the rig at the moment and never to the point the generator notices any draw (change in engine pitch) but it would seem I would be best placed to put some draw on it, how much though?

my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
al_x View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al_x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2020 at 11:18am
I swear the consensus on this forum 15 years ago was that you didn’t need as big a genny as the power of the rig. i.e. 5k rig 4K genny. I’m going a bit senile but pretty sure this was a thing. 
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2020 at 1:24pm
Like a lot of other things in our world, I´d say that it would also depend on the build quality and QC of the generator and it´s electronics. There are a lot of cheapo units floating around out there, so it pays to be carefull.

And looking at the load the OP has stated, there are a lot of cones to move. I wouldn´t trust anything under 15kVA, diesel and a reputable make.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>