Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Generators

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2020 at 10:26am
And don't forget, over 6KVA and you need to "plan" your distro and make someone competent as SPR!! I know BS7909 has its weaknesses, and plenty of critics, but a good starting point.

TBH, stick an earth spike in the ground, bond your E & N to it, and chuck a chain over your nearest overhead supply cable. You may need a 11KV to "230v" stepdown transformer...3 Chains for 3 phase, but make sure you maintain the L1/L2/L3 sequence, bit of masking tape works for labelling.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
Boxes-R-Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxes-R-Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2020 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by MattStolton MattStolton wrote:

And don't forget, over 6KVA and you need to "plan" your distro and make someone competent as SPR!! I know BS7909 has its weaknesses, and plenty of critics, but a good starting point.

TBH, stick an earth spike in the ground, bond your E & N to it, and chuck a chain over your nearest overhead supply cable. You may need a 11KV to "230v" stepdown transformer...3 Chains for 3 phase, but make sure you maintain the L1/L2/L3 sequence, bit of masking tape works for labelling.

If the transformer is too heavy just use 4 Jo-Jo reels in series, you should get about the 10.76KV voltage drop you are looking for.

You may want to print your RAMS on 3" thick PTFE paper and stack the first 2 Jo-jo reels on that! LOL

Kinda Been there, Kinda done that, YOU COULDN'T handle my bar bill!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Boxes-R-Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2020 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Noyzmunky Noyzmunky wrote:

Whats the % of max output that would be valid as a static load? 5%? 10%? 15%?

On a 2kva gen would a 100w lightbulb in a desk lamp be enough to offer a stabilising factor? or maybe a bit more... 250w twister light?

I ask because it's a little 2.5k max gen that I use to run the rig at the storage for background. It only runs the rig at the moment and never to the point the generator notices any draw (change in engine pitch) but it would seem I would be best placed to put some draw on it, how much though?

about 15% of 2KVA is 300VA, which a 250W twister (if it is the halogen thing I think it is) would cover (2KVA genset prob has a 0.85 PF so 250W is about 300VA)......Smile
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2020 at 11:39pm
To load bank properly, get a 3 phase hairdryer the size of a transit, and dump 25-40% of genset through it. Or at Glastonbury, run undermud heating elements, to dry things out.

Getting power that nice, is that silly. Big thing in L&SI mag a few years back about how much load banking at festies, all burning diesel, may not be so good.

And takes proper planning. Try clamp metering your system off of a mains supply, to see what it actually is drawing, with a PF display somewhere on your distro. May give you some idea? Most of my junk is QSC, and manuals offer guidance as to current draw vs load vs program material. Not a bad way to guesstimate.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
100 Volt-line View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100 Volt-line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2020 at 12:03pm
For load bank purposes, I have a 6Kw per phase industrial heater; it can be set on full or half power. This gives the generator something to do, and an extra bonus is a bit of indoor heating if its a winter job!  
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2020 at 3:20pm
cheers boxes-r-blue.
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxes-R-Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2020 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by 100 Volt-line 100 Volt-line wrote:

For load bank purposes, I have a 6Kw per phase industrial heater; it can be set on full or half power. This gives the generator something to do, and an extra bonus is a bit of indoor heating if its a winter job!  

Pretty much Exactly what i use, but a 15KW variant.

A Bit miffed to find it pulls 20A per phase (IE is Star wired) I would have hoped it would be delta wired to get the same result with a bit less current...

Only has 2 power settings, 7.5 and 15KW but a pair ballast a 125KVA set nicely.

Note I always place these right next to the set (I just double lug and run a gig distro and a Dump distro) and you would be mad to add 30KW of load to increase your voltage drop on your main feeder!

100 Volt-line View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100 Volt-line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2020 at 11:12am

Only ever put it inside if genny is close by. On long distro? Heavens no!

Edited by 100 Volt-line - 30 March 2020 at 11:13am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12