Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

heat resistant multi-connectors?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: heat resistant multi-connectors?
    Posted: 20 March 2020 at 1:58pm
Hi

sorry, not really speaker related but someone here might know.

I repaired my oven in November and replaced some damaged connectors with these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222642667025

had the oven on for several hours yesterday and it tripped the circut breaker. Just taken the back off and the connectors have melted together and shorted. Looks like from heat rather than from over-current. They are situated very close to the back of the oven compartment and I will check the oven for leaks. and I can relocate the connectors slightly and put in some additional heat shielding. But can anyone suggest some more heat resistant connectors? The melted ones say they are polyamide. I've tried searching for 'high temp' and 'heat resistant' but not finding anything.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 2:09pm
Polyamide's glass transition temperature, at which it will start to soften, is just 50-70C - so those are not high temperature connectors at all! 
Try ceramic screw terminal blocks, such as are found in the backs of tungsten parcans. The GTT on those is about 1200C ;)
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

Polyamide's glass transition temperature, at which it will start to soften, is just 50-70C - so those are not high temperature connectors at all! 
Try ceramic screw terminal blocks, such as are found in the backs of tungsten parcans. The GTT on those is about 1200C ;)

it's a very expensive smeg range (I got it used for £120) but all the connectors are this plastic type. will try ceramic, thanks.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 6:39pm
Or cover everything with heavy duty heat-shrink?

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Boxes-R-Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxes-R-Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2020 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Or cover everything with heavy duty heat-shrink?

TBH I don't think polyofin (yep that is spelt WELL wrong) sleeve is the way to go here, i would just get non-insulated butt crimps and cover the whole lot with systoflex style "Silicone Coated Braided Glass Fibre Sleeving" which will one work and two give you more time to cook stuff like this :-

Kinda Been there, Kinda done that, YOU COULDN'T handle my bar bill!
 Post Reply Post Reply