Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Breaking in drivers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2020 at 6:40pm
And before I go I sold GAZ some amplifiers over the last few days, just want to say what a top guy to deal with Smile
oren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 10:58am
Okay so im not sure what to make of the debate at the end of all that , should i just assume tat becae te driver has bee sat in the shed as a sparde wich may have seen very little to no use that i should test it on a low volume to see if it functions okay and if breaking in is real? Also i am not a speaker engineer but i have come across many of elliots posts in the forum in the past and have found them very helpfull , i cannot intervene when it comes to some of the more scientific debates so i dontf know on that end but hey at the end of the day i feel so lucky this forum is here .
Music is nice..
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 12:26pm
Okay, ask yourself this... Why am I breaking in the driver? 

If its to get it nearer to the correct TS for testing then go ahead. 

If it's to check that it works and is in good condition then just play a sine sweep starting low level and listening for distortion/rubbing.

If its because you want the system to sound perfect (driver having correct TS for cabs) from the get go then just play some music through it before your first gig. 

If it is because you think it will sound better having been run in then this will be done (if it is a thing) within half an hour of using it on a gig.

If you think it will be damaged by not "breaking it in" then this is nonsense. If you are still in anyway worried, set you limiters well, have good gain structure and don't spank it for the first half hour.

Job done. Anxiety over.  

Basically, stick it in a cab, play some music and enjoy.... 
blah blah blah blah blah......
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by oren oren wrote:

Okay so im not sure what to make of the debate at the end of all that , should i just assume tat becae te driver has bee sat in the shed as a sparde wich may have seen very little to no use that i should test it on a low volume to see if it functions okay and if breaking in is real? Also i am not a speaker engineer but i have come across many of elliots posts in the forum in the past and have found them very helpfull , i cannot intervene when it comes to some of the more scientific debates so i dontf know on that end but hey at the end of the day i feel so lucky this forum is here .

More than worrying about "breaking in", if the driver has been sat somewhere - maybe damp - for any length of time, check that the suspension is good, ie that the cone moves equally out & in. If not, that will definitely effect how it sounds.   Dead

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
oren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 1:21pm
Yeah i just wanted to check that it worked mainly and that since  its been sat around for a while  i wanted to give it time to stretch as it where . What would be a good way to check the suspension? Just check by ear? I was also going to air it out before use.
Music is nice..
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 3:23pm
Sit it with the cone facing up, and look at how level the spider is, is should not be sunken, should be flat.  If it its sunken then its worn.

Regarding breaking in drivers, it can be useful if you have a brand new driver and want it to sound how it will sound in real world use, brand new drivers can sound a little harder and tighter and more aggressive straight out of the box, breaking in a driver can be useful in some situations despite what several misguided old men might tell you.

Unfortunately there are several on this forum who think that because they have been into sound for many years that they know it all, and refuse to consider or learn anymore...It really is ruining the forum... 

This topic has come up before, i explained reasons to one forum member who was adamant it was pointless, but he did eventually listen and understand,  but he seems hes reverted back to an "ive been doing sound for years and i never broke in a driver, so its pointless" kind of attitude...

Its a shame some people dont want to learn, and just want to pretend they know it all already...
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 5:25pm
Oh dear!

LOL LOL LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 6:14pm
If you consider that every major pro audio loudspeaker manufacturer in the world does not break in their cabinets or speakers in any way shape or form then I think this answers the question---in fact most of the big name cabinets are not even plugged in and tested in the factory as most are subjected to a batch testing production method.
So as a misguided old man who has been involved in the industry for nearly fifty very successful years, I obviously now know nothing about the modern use of cabinets and components.
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 8:44pm
Just because manufacturers dont break in the drivers in cabinets they ship does not mean they never break in drivers to test how they sound once broken in.

There is a world beyond your personal experience Robbo, i know you dont want to see it but there is quite a lot to loudspeaker development that you clearly dont understand,  just because you have not personally experienced something does not mean it cant exist, you dont know it all.

Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 8:47pm
Here you go quick example:

"Small signal parameters measured after unit subjected to pre-conditioning signal."

You will find most driver manufacturers do the same.
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Timebomb Timebomb wrote:

Here you go quick example:

"Small signal parameters measured after unit subjected to pre-conditioning signal."

You will find most driver manufacturers do the same.

That's item #5 on their notes at the bottom of the spec. Even better than that is #1:

"Tested for two hours using a continuous, band-limited pink noise signal as per AES standard. Power calculated on minimum impedance. Loudspeaker tested in free air. "

Two hours of pink noise is more than enough to 'run in' a speaker.
It's a difficult choice, would you rather have:

A: A vegan son.
B: An OnlyFans daughter
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 10:06pm
The guy isnt talking about breaking in a driver for measuring or testing purposes, and i dont think Robbo was either.

Edited by JonB67 - 29 March 2020 at 10:17pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>