Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Plan Requests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fane Sovereign 12-200LT - 2 way Box Ideas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dubshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fane Sovereign 12-200LT - 2 way Box Ideas
    Posted: 29 March 2020 at 10:18am
Good morning all!

Seeing as I'm likely to have a bit more time on my hands over the coming months, I thought I might start doing some research into a suitable (home-made) cabinet for this driver! Note: I have searched the forum. There is some discussion about this series of driver. From what I can see, forum members recommend somewhere between 40-60ltr box capacity, sealed for a reasonably low cutoff frequency. I am not looking for the lowest of lows, so I'm not going to port it. I already have my bass cabinet and plan to make something in the future to supersede my current box.

Here's what I have:
Bass - Fane 15" 600XB, on bass duties, 40-100hz (ish) (Cabinet to be update in the future)
Mid - Fane 12-200LT - Currently unboxed, waiting to be used. Aiming for 90/100hz up
Top - B&C DE400TN - 2.5khz and up.

I am currently using a home-brew mid/top section. Recycled from an old ping-pong table. It's rough and ready. Not very well sealed etc. More of an exercise in terrible carpentry skills and recycling Hi-Fi components. Looks great to the uneducated eye, but would not stand up to serious inspection! I'll include a pic below for curious eyes. I am using the B&C, mounted to a horn - but it is currently resting on top of the mids! I'd like to build a box with the 12" and the Horn, all in one. I'll include a quick sketch to illustrate my rough plan.

I guess I'm looking for input from anyone who has experience with this or other similar speaker/cabinet designs.
What should I watch out for?
Anything specifically I should look at or consider?
How do I figure out the volume of the comp and horn in the box?

Fane suggests a box with a volume of 30-75 liters. I'm pretty confident I can calculate the various dimensions needed to match my design, but I know there's going to be something I haven't thought about! Any and all recommendations welcome.

Thanks in advance, Ben.
Pics for your viewing pleasure:

Rough plan:

Dubshot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dubshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 10:28am
Is this the right place to post this topic? Would "New Projects" be more appropriate?
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 10:36am
What are the leds for?

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 11:03am
Just what i was thinking

But in terms of the box, if you are looking for a full range box, for domestic use, then a sealed box will have more merit than a reflex box. Sealed boxes are very forgiving in terms of volume and tuning as they are inherently simple devices, however keeping box proportions correct, introducing good bracing and plenty of internal dampening material will all improve performance. Sealed boxes roll off in a much more gentle way at the bottom end than a reflex enclosure so you may well be surprised how low you could get the box to play. Efficiency down there will be limited however and you also need to pay attention to excursion at higher powers. 
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 11:20am
Sealed box = perfect solution... just go for it! Plan looks great... also just to add I have a stack of mdf off-cuts here looking for a home, if you want any of it it's yours mate
Reverence Sound system

Dubshot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dubshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 11:21am
Thanks for the responses so far...

LED's are purely aesthetic. I've already built a set into the current box - basically to show the signal level in a very crude/rudimentary way. Thinking I'll make a circuit for each of the top and mid sections. Really just some fun and a nod towards some of my favourite Dub systems such as JTS and Earthquake. Consider it a vanity project haha.

Was fairly certain that a sealed unit would be best - especially considering my limited knowledge and experience! The ported box on the drawing is just a reflection of the existing 15" bass cab. I included it for visual reference. Hoping to design something to march the front facing dimensions, so it can sit on top nicely.

Any "real world" thoughts (rather than simulations) on a suggested volume for the box, or for figuring out the space the horn would take up? 
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 11:22am
The leds flash like a vu meter to show signal going to box.. similar to Jah Tubbys and others have in their top boxes.. (i think)
Reverence Sound system

Dubshot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dubshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 11:22am
Jammin - yes me boss! Did wonder if I might see you around here!
I'll get in touch with ya privately... Had occurred to me that finding materials may be an issue atm...

Edited by Dubshot - 29 March 2020 at 11:55am
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 11:22am
Beat me to it Dub!!!

Reverence Sound system

dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 11:24am
Have you tried WinISD Dub?

Reverence Sound system

Dubshot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dubshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 11:56am
Jammin - I haven't tried WinISD yet. Is it fairly simple to get working with ideas like these?
Once I've wrapped up some proper plans and dimensions I'll tap you up for those off cuts!

Edit - Downloading now... will see how I get on!

Edited by Dubshot - 29 March 2020 at 12:00pm
Dubshot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dubshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 12:41pm
So, I've had a bit of play around...

Inputted all of the parameters that I can see/find/match up from the spec sheet. Saved the driver... Gone to open the driver, but I do get a prompt that it fails all integrity tests... Kinda ignored that for the moment out of curiosity. Here's some of what I'm getting out of WinISD.
Does any of it look right or wrong - what am I missing?

Orange - 30 L
Blue - 40 L
Red - 60 L
Green - 75 L

Assuming that my data inputs are correct and the warning doesn't count for anything(??)
It looks like a 40 L box would give me a tiny peak around 100hz with a nice smooth roll off.
Not worried particularly about top-end performance as I have the compression driver to deal with those frequencies.

Using most of the presets/defaults whilst I get my head around what I'm looking for!

** Data sheet posted separately now I've figured out an Imgur link - see next post!

Edited by Dubshot - 29 March 2020 at 12:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>