Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solder questions.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin juice24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solder questions.
    Posted: 31 March 2020 at 1:49pm
Help please!
I’m trying to connect my internal wire to speakon plate.its refusing to adhere. What am I doing wrong? Would I be better using spade connectors?
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2020 at 2:18pm
You can solder to those tabs. You need a decent iron though. A 25 watt Antex isn't really hot enough. A 50 watt model is better, or a Weller type temp controlled model. Also, leaded solder is 10000% superior to lead free. If you can only get lead free, try using some extra flux with it, and even MORE heat.

First heat up the tab and melt a little bit of solder onto it. Then strip and apply plenty of solder to the end of the wire, it needs to be well soaked in. Then slide some 1/4" heatshrink up the wire.

Now take the wire in a pair of pliers, and press the soldered end up against the tab using the tip of the soldering iron. The solder in the wire and on the tab should melt and flow together. As soon as this has happened, remove the iron and hold it in place with the pliers until the solder sets. Now slide the heatshrink down over it, and apply heat to shrink it.

Artery forceps are even better than pliers for this (aka locking forceps). You can clip them onto the wire, and then you don't have to use any force to hold onto it. You can also use them to clip 2 wires together, so you can solder them both onto a tab at the same time.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
JulianDA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulianDA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2020 at 2:29pm
Also check if the tabs show signs of corosion, as this may be the reason why your solder refuses to adhere to them. Use some steelwhool or sandpaper to clean them and then try again ;)
Djdarch View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Djdarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2020 at 2:29pm
scratch up the tab a bit with a screwdriver , the solder will then stick to it better.
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2020 at 2:35pm
Sounds like you need a beefier Soldering Iron.
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
bin juice24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin juice24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2020 at 2:36pm
Big thanks! I’ll try again but hotter.
If it’s not adhering to the surface, is it lack of heat?
Temp on iron goes up to 480, is that enough?
Is generic solder wire (came with the iron) okay?
Thanks again
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2020 at 2:40pm
480 is loads (presuming thats Celsius), I usually do those at 400.
What kinda tip do you have?
The larger chisel/spade tips are best for that, something with a bit of surface area to transmit the heat to the tab fast.
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin juice24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2020 at 2:51pm
There’s loads of tips, I just went the random approach.

It’s on! And fairly sturdy too.

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

So.......does heating up the wire and the plate excessively, affect anything? Anything to consider, other than melting the numbers off?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin juice24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2020 at 3:05pm
Also, I’m going to wire from one female speakon to the other in parallel. To run a second cabinet off each side.
Are there any reasons why I shouldn’t do this? Is there something I should consider first?

Thanks 
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2020 at 3:43pm
The generic solder than came with your iron is very unlikely to be leaded solder.

As others have said you need leaded solder.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2020 at 4:04pm
Definitely try get yourself some leaded solder for this. The unleaded stuff needs a much higher temperature - and if you aren´t quick while doing the job, you will melt the rubber and risk messing up the Speakons.

Or:- 

Yes, just use faston connectors. That may be the simplest solution for you.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2020 at 4:08pm
keep your tip wet. whenever you want to transfer heat, melt a little solder onto the tip first, it fills in any gaps for a better transfer.

I also feed a bit of solder into the tip / join junction when the two tinned parts are being heated.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>