Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solder questions.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin juice24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2020 at 3:21pm
This is doing my head in now! I’m trying to solder two wires off one tab ( one to the driver and one to the other socket, thus parallel) and it just won’t have it. Must both wires be soldered (both +1) at the same time?
bin juice24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin juice24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2020 at 3:41pm
New tip sorted it!

Looks horrible though.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2020 at 4:56pm
Tin both wires separately then use heatshrink to hold them together in 'shotgun' formation then solder both to the tab at once.
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2020 at 8:45am
A little tip.

When you are trying to solder 2 cables on to one tab, 

Tin both cables separately. 

Then when cool, Join both cables together with PVC Electrical tape.

I use PVC tape as when the outside insulation of the cable heats up the PVC tape won't damage it.

Also the PVC tape comes of easily.

www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2020 at 8:55am
I merely twist both conductors together tightly before tinning, cut to length, tin the tab, then apply heat to both when brought together. Thats worked well for me for the last 30 years
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2020 at 9:09am
It really sounds like your soldering iron is not generating enough heat for the job. Have you sorted out some leaded solder? It´s going to be a lot more difficult, if not impossible with the unleaded stuff.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
bin juice24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin juice24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2020 at 9:27am
Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated.

Is this suitable? 63/37 0.8mm 50g Tin Lead Rosin Core Solder Flux Soldering Welding Iron Wire UK
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2020 at 9:35am
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

I merely twist both conductors together tightly before tinning, cut to length, tin the tab, then apply heat to both when brought together. Thats worked well for me for the last 30 years

This is my method also.
A quality iron and leaded solder will make all the difference.
Soldering is a skill that takes practice, you will get good at it with time.

Maybe get some old circuit boards and parts and pieces of wire to practice with. This is how I learned when I first started.
100% Earth Moving Bass
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2020 at 9:50am
I had an dad that screwed brass screws in bits of old skirting board and had me wiring up basic  electronic circuits by soldering between them. Kind of DIY vero board. I was 5, so i guess thats when the rot set in!
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2020 at 10:19am
Different ways, same result.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
lag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2020 at 4:59pm
If your iron is struggling to solder the two wires to the tab, you can strip back a bit more insulation from the cable than you might normally. Then twist the conductors of both cables together but leaving one of the cable lengths longer. Tin both cables. You will be left with both cables joined but one cable extending a little further and maintaining the 2.5mm (or whatever cable diameter you are using) instead of the thickness of two cables. This will make it easier to solder to the speakon... It will be like soldering a single cable to the tab - a bit easier than two! Kinda tricky to explain but this might help you.

Edited by lag - 13 April 2020 at 5:00pm
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2020 at 5:24pm
If using the method above, I would strongly advise applying heat shrink to the un-insulated area where the two conductors are twisted together. 

In all honesty however, I would strongly recommend investing in a good iron. They should last a very long time indeed. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>