Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin audio w8 cheap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martin audio w8 cheap
    Posted: 01 April 2020 at 8:52pm
Can be useful to some people, cheap martin w8 system in Belgium! 

That’s about 485£ for a W8C

Wish floodlights popped up so cheap here Big smile
We need more SPL!
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2020 at 9:23am
Such a good box! 

Personally now If I was using the boxes for gigging I would pick the W8C over Floodlight. 

Yes Floodlight does sound marginally better. But to delicate, The Mid and low mid drivers are a pain to get fixed.

W8C is just a bit more designed for life on the road 20 years after production to me. 

Edited by jacethebase - 02 April 2020 at 9:24am
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2020 at 9:40am
Great boxes, would happily take either flood or w8c. I did a lot of work with the floods way back when. I guess the w8c will also funnel all the dust into the drivers and need a good clean out once in a while. 6" in the floods used to end up jammed with muck between the surround and the horn flare. Not that any body noticed, I never got around to checking what made it's way into th comps.
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 1:49pm
The big selling has indeed started.. flashlight ampco is selling old RenkusHeinz trap cabinets for 190 euros each. For under 800 euros you have a heck of a midtop system to go over subs...
brokenjoe View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokenjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

Such a good box! 

Personally now If I was using the boxes for gigging I would pick the W8C over Floodlight. 

Yes Floodlight does sound marginally better. But to delicate, The Mid and low mid drivers are a pain to get fixed.

W8C is just a bit more designed for life on the road 20 years after production to me. 

glad we sold when we did ! 

altho my wbcs went for 350 for 4 boxes on ebay - forgot to keep an eye on it 
error 404
Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 5:28pm
About the debate w8c vs floodlight, it indeed seems a better option
To go for the Martin cabinet, certainly most audio engineers would be happy to mix on it. It is well known and cheaper and drivers more available than floods. Altough floods are just so sexy!

Guess we will be seeing some big sell off/dump in the coming months. Wink

We need more SPL!
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 8:54pm
I have compared Floods with W8's, and happily used both systems (and worked for both of the manufacturers).

The main practical differences are that the Floodlight 1" HF unit projects better than the W8, but the W8 sounds smoother overall.

I'm surprised Ampco still has those Renkus boxes, they were superseded long ago.

Edited by madboffin - 03 April 2020 at 8:56pm
Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 9:01pm
https://www.ampco-flashlight.com/nl/product/renkus-heinz-trap40k-3-way-coentrant-loudspeaker/

Up to 50 units available! Interesting boxes, lightweight. 
Anyone heard em? Good for EDM?
 Might cut them in half and have an awesome mid high box. 
We need more SPL!
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 9:13pm
Oh, that's the Trap 40K. I've never used those. Looks OK on paper, and horizontally arrayable. You'd need to listen to them first, but that's a low price for a system with those specs. I think 2 or 3 a side would be needed to make a useful system.

I was thinking of the old Co-entrant system, big and heavy (but vertically arrayable).

Edited by madboffin - 03 April 2020 at 9:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply