Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Setting amps correctly for drivers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djketley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Setting amps correctly for drivers
    Posted: 05 April 2020 at 3:46pm
Hi, i have 4 pd1850/2 drivers and a 4CH amplifier capable of 2000w per channel. Now, i've spent an awfull lot on the pd's and would rather not cook them instantly could somone please explain the safe way to set up the amps so the output power dosen't cook the drivers?

From what i've read (i could be wrong) the PD's are 800w although the peak power is 3200w but im under the assumption that the peak power could only be sustainted for a very short period.

I have fluke multimeter and a fluke watt meter and an hantek dso5102p scope so hopefully thats enough to set these up correctly.

Sorry is this is a newbie question im new to the culture and our rig is built for fun.
taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2020 at 4:20pm
Model of 4 channel amp?
What type boxes PD's in?

djketley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djketley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2020 at 4:32pm
It's a DSP22000Q - Not exactly top of the range but it's what we could afford at the time.

The drivers are loaded into ROG Moagle 18" Super Scoopers.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2020 at 4:55pm
Does the dsp section of the amplifier offer both RMS and Peak voltage limiting?

If so, this is a relatively simple operation.

RMS limiting, a safe rule of thumb that wont restrict reasonable use of your drivers is to base the limiting threshold by using ohms law to calculate the voltage achieved at 1/3rd of the RMS at the nominal impedance of the driver, so 800/3 = 267w @ 8R = 46V

Apply this limit with a slow attack and release, 2seconds attack, 8 seconds release works well for subs

Peak settings would follow the method above, substituting the values for the peak power handling ( 3200w) and using much faster attack and release times, off the order of 1ms attack, 32ms release  

Note: RMS power handling- PD drivers with their larger coils than average drivers may be fine with higher settings. My rule is never more than 100W per inch of voice coil diameter. 5” coil is therefore potentially good for 500W power dissipation. However my direct experience of looking at data of how limiters have engaged under “full output” system use, with both RMS and Peak limiters employed as per the method about rarely shows RMS limiter engagement, but frequent peak limiter engagement showing that higher RMS threshold values may not result in greater output.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
djketley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djketley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2020 at 4:58pm
Thank you so much for that you've cleared that right up. Can i just say your explanation was very good!
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2020 at 6:04pm
Id echo what was posted above as a rule of thumb that will keep you safe while allowing good usage.

Remember the 3200W "peak" rating is derived from peak voltage of the AES test signal, and peak limiter threshold is normally set referenced to RMS voltage,  I would set the peak limiter at 1600W / 113Vrms @ 8ohms, which is the same as 3200W / 160Vp @ 8ohms.  

James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
djketley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djketley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2020 at 6:23pm
https://ibb.co/p0CM0Qf -

This my DSP software.

Not sure this amplifier will support what you guys have mentioned i've been told that if i use a multimeter and do the Square Root 800 * 8Ohms that would give the the voltage in AC of what to set my amp while running a 60hz test tone at 0db.

Edited by djketley - 05 April 2020 at 6:24pm
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2020 at 7:15pm
I know this DSP module it only has a peak limiter, yes if you want to limit at 800W then 800x8 sqrt = 80Vrms,  the drivers will be safe with this,  personally if i only had a peak limiter i would still give them a little more.  

If you measure the output voltage of the amp with your meter i would do it without a speaker connected as many amps dont like continual sine waves.  Voltage gain will not be quite accurate but if you measure 80Vrms unloaded then it shouldn't be much less at 8ohms.   

James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
djketley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djketley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2020 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Timebomb Timebomb wrote:

I know this DSP module it only has a peak limiter, yes if you want to limit at 800W then 800x8 sqrt = 80Vrms,  the drivers will be safe with this,  personally if i only had a peak limiter i would still give them a little more.  

If you measure the output voltage of the amp with your meter i would do it without a speaker connected as many amps dont like continual sine waves.  Voltage gain will not be quite accurate but if you measure 80Vrms unloaded then it shouldn't be much less at 8ohms.   

Thank you, How much more do you feel i could safely give them?
 Post Reply Post Reply