Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Behringer NX6000

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajsski99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Behringer NX6000
    Posted: 08 April 2020 at 8:33pm
Hi all, 

Recently read a threat from January in this forum about the Behringer NX6000 amplifier. Quite a lot of my questions were answered after reading, but i still have a few unanswered.

I am planning to run 2x PD1850's at around 1000w in stereo off of this amp, would it suffice?

And I read elsewhere that the NX6000 performs extremely poorly off of power from a generator, which is what I will be mainly running it off of. Is this true? If so, plans for this amp are out of the window.

If anyone has any experience running those drivers (or similar) from this amp, or any experience running it off of a generator, if you could let me know that'd be great.

Thanks.
Chris Grimshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2020 at 10:56pm
When it comes to generators, amplifiers are tricky.

Amplifiers:
- Without PFC, they pull current over a narrow part of the mains cycle
- Present a load that varies strongly from one moment to the next

My recommendation, then, is to always ask for a big diesel generator.

For example, I was running a pair of 2x10"+HF mains and 4x 15" subs, stage monitors and backline off a stack of iNukes (NX series are very similar). Three 6000s (subs, mids, and a 4-channel one for mons) and a 3000 (HF)

I asked for a 15kVA generator, and got it. Put some music on, cranked it up to the red lights, and the mains voltage didn't vary much.

More recently, I've moved to Powersoft T-series amps.
Running pretty much the same cabs, I had a T604 (mids, highs), a T602 (subs) and a T304 (mons) running on an 8kVA petrol generator (not supplied by me). Mains voltage was bouncing all over the place, and the amps had headroom - we weren't close to full power.

The big diesel generators have enough momentum that a really big bass hit (which will pull a lot of power) won't bother it much. A small petrol engine will take a knock from that, think it's under a heavy load, try to speed up and some will over-shoot and the voltage will go too high.

What settled things down for the 8kVA generator was plugging in a load of pars with filament bulbs. Think they added another kilowatt or two of current draw, but that meant the little engine had something to get its teeth into. Instead of the power draw varying from 500w (example) to 5kw, it was varying from 2500w to 7000w. It's still a big jump, but it's not a factor-of-10 jump.

So, lessons:
- Big diesel generator where possible
- If not, find a way of giving the generator a reasonably constant power draw, and that should help keep it settled.

Hope that's useful. The iNukes and NX amps have been pretty good to me. The Powersoft amps are better (you get what you pay for), but those Behringer amps are exceptional on the price/performance curve.

Chris
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2020 at 7:46am
I've found them to be very good at running 4x 18'' for party/rave use.
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
bin juice24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin juice24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2020 at 5:33pm
I’ve just bought one from thomann.
3 year warranty! Wonder what that covers....,
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2020 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by bin juice24 bin juice24 wrote:

I’ve just bought one from thomann.
3 year warranty! Wonder what that covers....,
It covers the same things as the normal one year warranty covers.
Manufacturers still cover only that one year, but entities like Thomann, Bax and others take the rest on them up to 5 years total in some cases. Usually 2 or 3 years in total.
 Post Reply Post Reply