Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Double 10" Sealed Enclosure Advice please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Double 10" Sealed Enclosure Advice please
    Posted: 13 April 2020 at 4:40pm
I want to build a double 10" mid range sealed speaker enclosure. I have been thinking of using these speakers 
If you have other suggestions of driver or what to look out for when choosing a midrange driver let me know. I have been going by frequency range.
They will be used with 2x Tham12 subs. And 2x tops.

Ive been reading and reading mixed information and also downloaded winisd but i cant get my head around it. I want to build sealed mids as its easier for my first time. I wrote driver details in on this site and this is the results:

So i assume i now just double that VB figure and then add the speakers displacement on top of that to get my final internal volume size? If so my final volume would be 1.16ft³. This figure just seems far too small to me though, so i feel like there must be more to it??

Any help would be great cheers 🙂👍🏼

Edited by Jack1991 - 13 April 2020 at 5:40pm
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2020 at 5:28pm
Heres info from another forum someone posted for finding PORTED ENCLOSURE size. He does then say to reduce that size by 20% for a Sealed Enclosure (not pictured in the screenshot i know). 

So if i used this information my final size would be 1.87ft³ which is very different to my previous volume. This is why its confusing me. 

Edited by Jack1991 - 13 April 2020 at 5:28pm
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2020 at 6:19pm

You won't need a double 10 above a tham 12 it will be overkill, a decent single 10 happily keeps up with TWO tham 12s a side.

We often use a single tham 12 per side with either a small 8 or 10 + 1 reflex cab for smaller gigs and two thams per side and a single 10” + 1” reflex for larger gigs, the 10 + 1 seems to keep up very well.

You may find that a sealed mid will NOT be able to play low enough to reach the tham without the a large box as the thams are only any good up to about 120Hz.

My mid/tops are only about 22 ltrs (0.777 Cubic feet) and are tuned to about 73 Hz with 98db/w output. They use a cheapish fane sovereign 10-300 driver.

Edited by APW - 13 April 2020 at 6:20pm
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2020 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

You won't need a double 10 above a tham 12 it will be overkill, a decent single 10 happily keeps up with TWO tham 12s a side.

We often use a single tham 12 per side with either a small 8 or 10 + 1 reflex cab for smaller gigs and two thams per side and a single 10” + 1” reflex for larger gigs, the 10 + 1 seems to keep up very well.

You may find that a sealed mid will NOT be able to play low enough to reach the tham without the a large box as the thams are only any good up to about 120Hz.

My mid/tops are only about 22 ltrs (0.777 Cubic feet) and are tuned to about 73 Hz with 98db/w output. They use a cheapish fane sovereign 10-300 driver.

Thanks APW appreciate the feedback man. All taken on board 🙂

My question is still unanswered with the way to work out enclosure size though so if i did go with just 1 mid i still dont know how to calculate it? Any pointers with that? As you can see the 2 different outcomes from 2 seemingly good sources
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2020 at 6:33pm
I am happy to go ported too by the way. But equally i want to know the CORRECT way to work out enclosure size. As keep reading conflicting formulas.

Sealed seems more easier for first timer though and i prefer the pros of a sealed enclosure.

But after you saying 10" reflex id be happy to give that a go. Need info on the port size/length and ecnlosure calculating though man 🙂👍🏼

Edited by Jack1991 - 13 April 2020 at 7:19pm
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2020 at 7:51pm
Don't know about conflicting formulas, but without T/S parameters of that speaker, there's no way to simulate or calculate anything usefull in any software like WinISD or another. That particular speaker is probably more of an allround bass speaker (most likely suited for BR use ) than it can be a midspeaker.
It might work decent for what you need it to do, but it could be just as well very much out of wack for either closed or BR too.
You need the T/S parameters first ( or choose a speaker with known T/S parameters ).
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2020 at 8:04pm
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2020 at 8:05pm
No problem. Here are the TS parameters. I have entered these into various websites to get the enclosure volume but as stated i get various results. So dont know what to trust. Also i dont really know what to look for in the TS parameters for a mid range speaker? 

Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2020 at 8:08pm
Im happy to use any other speaker driver. My main concern here is knowing what to look for for a mid range speaker and also how to calculate the volume of a ported or sealed enclosure correctly. 

As when i calculate ported it shows ridiculous port sizes which are obviously not correct. And then various enclosure sizes vastly different from one another when entering ts paraneters of the same speaker into different sites 
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2020 at 9:23pm

Put it in WinISD...
Let it calculate and played around with volume, tuning frequency and lowcut filter at 100 Hz.
Doesn't look weird to me ...

Edit : where has the screenshot gone I put here ?

Edited by Peter Jan - 13 April 2020 at 9:24pm
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2020 at 9:25pm
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2020 at 9:37pm

As Peter has said above… Use WinISD (or similar) and not random online calculators. With WinISD you can quickly play around with various box sizes and tuning to get the best response for the driver. I tend to model using TWO different simulators, and they both tend to give fairly similar results with the actual measured response being somewhere in-between the two.

NO calculations or simulator is 100% correct but a decent simulator will get you in the ball park and will take away some of the hard work. Also they only predict the lo-response for the driver/box combo.

Edited by APW - 13 April 2020 at 9:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>