Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Double 10" Sealed Enclosure Advice please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Peter Jan Peter Jan wrote:

.... So (again) I grabbed a few parts out of the drawer and measured things up.
Took a coil of 0,4 mH, measured in free air : 0,401 mH
Fixed the coil to a piece of 18mm birch ply with a 16 mm long steel woodscrew : 0,408 mH
Added an extra 1 mm thick steel washer : 0,411 mH
So it's a bit more than one tenth of a percent, but certainly not anywhere near 20 % or so.
While fixing the screw with a screwdriver, my meter displayed about 0,550 mH, but my advice would be to not let the screwdriver in, you know

The main issue isn’t the change in inductance, its core saturation…. Basically in the "real world" air cored inductor don’t saturate (…. they do but at very very high power levels), as soon as you introduce a peace of ferric material into the inductor core space you no-longer have an air cored inductor and at some point you will hit the saturation knee, at this point your inductor is now non-linear and distortion accrues.

The smaller the amount of magnetic material in the core the lower the power it which it will saturate so a small screw will saturate at low power were as a large pump of iron will saturate at higher power levels.

…. And then we have Eddy currents in the core to consider!

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 10:42am
+1

What I was worried about as well. Just don´t stick any ferrite material in an air core inductor.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Jo bg Jo bg wrote:

By the way your stack looks perfect for a mobile system. Have a look at this wonderful 12V amp with dsp by a member here

Yes it is going to be a 12v sound system. I have a Pioneer 8704 4 channel class d amplifier for it. I may get a dsp in the future but im still learning and dont really understand the dsp settings etc just yet. So going to try and learn as i go with it.

Will check that link out now too mate cheers

Edited by Jack1991 - 07 May 2020 at 12:00pm
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 4:14pm
Update: all glued now. Time for a few ciders!

Then tommorow sand fill and router!

Also should i be posting the build in here? I kind of went a bit off topic and now its its turning into the build page for the whole project.

Edited by Jack1991 - 07 May 2020 at 4:14pm
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 7:01pm
Post up a build thread. We all love a build thread. Lots of pics please 
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

Post up a build thread. We all love a build thread. Lots of pics please 

Yeh what section is this in though mate??

And for the first time ever i took lots of pics too, dead handy! 

Edited by Jack1991 - 07 May 2020 at 7:22pm
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 8:59pm
Either under General,  or there's a new projects one under plans.  Isn't a special build one,  but there probably should be!
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

Either under General,  or there's a new projects one under plans.  Isn't a special build one,  but there probably should be!

Cool cheers!
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 9:13am
Right started a New Project thread, here is the link if anyone is interested.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me on it so far too! 😀👍🏼

Edited by Jack1991 - 08 May 2020 at 9:16am
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 7:59pm
All set up now. Only thing so far i am struggling with a bit is setting the GAIN on both the subs and mid/tops.

I have tried various different ways which i have read and been told and i find i can have the gain to max without distortion. I have turnt it down to around 2 o clock though as around 2 oclock for the subs was a comfortable level in my garage. And 1 o clock for the mid tops seemed to match. But both could go to max with no distortion.

As you can see Min is 7oclock and Max is 5oclock.

I would like to know if its ok to have it up higher (even i no distortion) or if anyone has any tips for setting it correctly or any advice on it in general? 🙂👍🏼

Edited by Jack1991 - 19 May 2020 at 8:05pm
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 10:14am
The gain is there to match with a wide range of sources, like mixing desks, pré-amps, laptops/iPhone, etc. What is the chain of components you are using as the source now ?

Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 10:16am
Ah ok so i need to alter the gain if i change the input then?

I am currently using my phone or my girlfriends phone as the input. So aux to rca into the amplifier.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>