Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parallel outputs..meh?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parallel outputs..meh?
    Posted: 20 June 2007 at 12:47am
Hi,

I have searched on this, found a couple o threads, but can't make head nor tale of it.

My Proline 3000 has a parallel switch, the manual also makes mention of 3000w @ 2ohm parallel.

So, my question is this : what the hell does that mean?

It's my understanding that, on most amps, parallel mode simply feeds both channels with the Ch.A input, creating 2 outputs from the single input.

I want to hang 3 HD15s from each channel (giving me 2.66hohms)... so do I flip the swtich, or make up some kind of Y-adaptor to feed both channels with the same input?

Cheers,

Adam.
j_0_e View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j_0_e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2007 at 12:48am
basically just throw it in paralell and just run the signal through chan a!
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2007 at 10:37pm
I also know.. aftera bit of searching.. different amps have different ways of operating in parallel mode.. I think Crest amps are different or something.

What does the @ 2ohm bit mean? (I can have a 2 ohm load on each channel maybe?)

Edited by adambomb - 20 June 2007 at 10:38pm
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2007 at 10:48pm
Usually parallel means that if you feed a signal to channel A then B will see it as well. Wired in parallel!

So set up your controller to run mono bass and now you only need one lead to run to the amp.

Channels see the same loads as usual ofc.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 12:35am
There are two variations of parallel mono.

In both cases the input of the channels is connected such that the same appears at both outputs.  Some amps also allow the outputs of the channels to be connected together for driving loads lower than possible on a single channel eg below 2Ohms such as three two-driver cabs in paralell.  Camco Vortex amps actually have a relay inside which connects the outputs together.  The annoying thing about this is that it actually disconnects the channel B output so you can't use the mode just for getting the same out of both channels.

adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 7:05am
Thanks Chris! - you got what I ment!

As I said in the first post... I know that on most amps parallel means 2
channels driven from the 1 input... great, and that's how I'm hoping it will work...

However.. the bit in the manual that says 3000w @ 2ohms is what confuses me... if it was simply taking the input for both channels from one, why would it mention this?

Unfortunatly the manual says nothing to clarify what it means.

Even if the amp does 'allow' for the connection of the outputs of both channels, can I just ignore this and hook up as I want to anyway? If this is the case will one channel be out of phase?

Cheers,

Adam.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 10:41am
In parallel mono,  both channels will be identical, ie in phase.  It's only bridge mono for which one is reversed.  So yes just connect one input and a cab to each output.
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 11:03am
sweet! cheers man.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 11:25am
That's interesting, I didn't know that about the Camcos. So basically it disconnects the output transistrs of channel B and puts them in series with the output transistors of channel A. More current available to drive lower impredances - clever.
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 11:28am
so do you think my amp might do the same? will the efect what I want to do? (I'm a bit of a dummy when it comes to innerds of amps)
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 11:31am
Owain: Well parallel not series but yeah, it basically turns it into one big amp channel.  But Crown MA/VZ amps will do the same, some Crests will too.

Adam: Your proline probably doesn't have anything fancy, it's just the inputs that are connected together.
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 10:39pm
Wicked!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>