Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SMT212 on the HD15 and Hog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manuelseth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SMT212 on the HD15 and Hog
    Posted: 22 April 2020 at 12:08pm
Hi there, 

After a long searching in here I found my self brave enough to post a topic, from Italy.

Would you think the SMT212 would be ok as a midtop on the HD15 and Hog?

I'm not actually planning to build any sound, I'm a woodworker/carpenter with huge passion for reggae/dub music, can't work at the moment, so I was making some ideas about it.

I came across this forum and it totaly got me in.. the idea was to think of a sound good for reggae but not just for it, that's why i got rid of the scoop idea from my mind..

Thank you.

Fracture_clinic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fracture_clinic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2020 at 5:51pm
Yeah that will be just fine together. 

There are loads of variations of the SMT out there, but a run-of the-mill standard build would be nice to see for a change.

You can't get the original 12s anymore. Take a look at some from RCF and 18sound, they tick the boxes.

I've read reports of SMT 212 on here being nice and loud. Which comp and horn were you thinking of using? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fracture_clinic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2020 at 5:53pm
I should add - that combo will be fine if run correctly. So set up the HDs properly and you'd need to mess with delays.

Hogs will behave better then some true scoops, so if you intend on multi-genre stuff they're a good choice. Personally I like hogs - I just wish they were taller. Some people have very different views hah!
VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2020 at 9:18pm
A+
manuelseth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manuelseth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Fracture_clinic Fracture_clinic wrote:

Yeah that will be just fine together. 

There are loads of variations of the SMT out there, but a run-of the-mill standard build would be nice to see for a change.

You can't get the original 12s anymore. Take a look at some from RCF and 18sound, they tick the boxes.

I've read reports of SMT 212 on here being nice and loud. Which comp and horn were you thinking of using? 

Well, i found an smt12 plan on a french website but maybe that's not the oringinal one..  
The  thing that makes me unconfortable with this setup, well, i don't think is going to be tall enough..

The hog it's like 1mt tall plus the DH15, 60cm.. = 1,60 mt..... I will going to have the 12 screaming on my face wich is something i would really get rid of.. but I still don't know how..

For the Hogs I see lots of people here recomend PD1850 /51 or Void, but i read here that with new Void's it's difficult to find parts in case of damage..
With the HD15 they suggest PD 154, JBL E140, Eminence 15LF or Fane colossus...
No idea for the 12s.. to if you have any suggest will be really appreciated..

I'm really concerned on the system tallness .Any sugestion even here? Cry

Thank you really appreciated the answer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fracture_clinic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 10:49am
Hmm okay, not sure I've seen that plan. Would you mind sending me a link?

True the 12 will be in your face - kinda. I guess it depends how tall you are. We run mini scoops and HDs at times and the tops generally stay at head height for most. I think you'd be fine height wise.

What about oberton, can you get those in Italy? check out any of the 1300 1500 or 1600. Void isn't hard to get parts for - check out Blue Aran, they ship all over the EU.

Okay for the 12s RCF lf12g301 or MB12g301 or 18 sound 12ND610 or 710 (I think it's those, have a gander on here there's a forum in new projects where me and sushi discuss the 12s for their SMT 112.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manuelseth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 12:50pm
Unfortunately I think my inbox is still locked , not sure I'm allowed to link plans in here??

Thank's i did check out the Oberton, way much cheaper than PD, they seems to have a good curve and sweet components, not sure if sometimes the price worth the job, sure result will depends even on amps and combination of so many stuff..

RCF are pretty used in here in Italy and people seems to be happy. especially the MB12g301.
Not sure if I ever heard the sound of the 12ND610... but it seem bit more expansive,

In terms of tallness I’m still not sure...

Edited by manuelseth - 23 April 2020 at 1:48pm
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 4:53pm
You will need 10 posts to use PMs.

If your mid tops aren't high enough you could always build spacers to raise them up your desired height.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by AM55 AM55 wrote:

You will need 10 posts to use PMs.

If your mid tops aren't high enough you could always build spacers to raise them up your desired height.

And those spacers could double up as cable boxes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manuelseth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2020 at 11:31am
Sometimes logic answers might help.. I was wondering about phase issues but it really depends about doing test actyally....

Thanks.
1ManSoundsystem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManSoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2022 at 3:02am
hey there,

im a proud owner of 4 mt122 (beyma titan HT and B&c 176 ndl) 8 hd15 154er and 4 hogs 1851er

the mt122 mids have a brutal high kick, in my oppinion much harder than the hd15s, especially for psytrance the kicks smacks really hard.

they work together pretty well with hd15, crazy volumes, insane pressure. but u have to spend some time to setup your system for it to bring up some fun. i use 2 behringer ultras,
hogs: 30-90hz, hd15 90-160, mids 160-1000, and compressiondrivers 1000hz-end. this setup works pretty good for me for all kinds of music from metal, psytrance, darktechno, dnb edm raggae etc.

i build that soundsystem on my own, be aware that building the mt122 (mt212?) ist extremely difficult, uses an insane amount of single steps, and most of it u have to work cut-to-fit bcuz there are almost no square 90 degree pieces. horrible work, but devine result <3 i live together with my SS in my living room, i love it and i wouldnt trade or sell it :) -greetings from germany
 Post Reply Post Reply