Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ultimate kick bin?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ultimate kick bin?
    Posted: 30 April 2020 at 3:44am
Do we know what the ultimate driver/design combo is yet? As time goes by with the advancement of drivers and cabinet design surely something must stand out overall?
15's vs 18's vs 21's (too slow)?
Short horns vs BPH vs ported horns vs tuned reflex vs tapped horn?
HD15 vs USB vs ES18 vs Cubo Kick vs Paraflex?

Anyone have any experience or opinions after hearing several designs? 

Thanks in advance.....

When you gonna send me some $$ mate ?
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2020 at 5:07am
The coffin bin.

Basically the best in terms of sound would be a long straight horn that loads down to around 60hz and takes a high efficiency, small voice coil 15" that would have the ability to play up real high with no issues from band pass effects or folds in the horn. I played around with coming up with something that was the same depth as a Hog (approx 1m) but never got round to building anything as it just seemed a bit mad when a single box would be nearly the same size as the HD215 I use now.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2020 at 11:12am
Martin F2B. don't know if anyone did ever manage to get some plans drawn for them - been discussed several times on here over the years.
RealitySound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2020 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

Martin F2B. don't know if anyone did ever manage to get some plans drawn for them - been discussed several times on here over the years.

Thanks. Found some old threads too.

Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2020 at 6:57pm
Megaton em15 for me. Sounds very warm and smooth. But still hard hitting. It’s a BPH , looks very much like turbosound bph238.

They are also quite small and light, i’m saying this because I owned 6x Martin 115 , loved them but so heavy and big awkward shape!

Usb/es18 should sound the same, heard them before, they sure kick but slow monotone 18” sound to me...
We need more SPL!
oren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 4:02pm
Good kick of the em15 , gets some bad rep but honestly I think it's a good bin in terms of sound throw and price . And it's easy to build great for playing dance music like techno trance etc..
Music is nice..
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 1:03am
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

At least two forum members have the (real) plans, but I don't think they have been widely published.

RealitySound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 2:11am
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by RealitySound RealitySound wrote:

I can't find much on the F2B as far as plans (as you said) Surprising, considering how old it is.

The trouble is, as I have mentioned in another thread, that this is a very difficult box to build. As well as the plans, you need a couple of people with plenty of expertise in building tricky cabinets. Plus ideally a CNC machine to do all the rebating, although the originals were built in a woodworking factory equipped with Wadkin copy routers (the ones where you follow a jig on a pin) and full size dimensional saws plus all the usual air tools.

You also need to be willing to make at least one sacrificial prototype box (built screwed but not glued) to find out what needs to be tweaked to make everything fit together properly. And you really need to borrow an original cabinet as a reference to visualise how it all looks when complete.
Bear in mind that 19mm plywood has a tolerance of 1mm or so, which means that the cutting dimensions, rebates, etc have to be referenced to the centre line of the cabinet (as they are on the original drawing). It's all quite fiddly to get right.

The boxes have to be properly screwed as well as glued, otherwise they will eventually develop rattles. Pilot holes for the screws are drilled along the rebates in the two main panels before assembly. You can find out where the screws are in an original box without having to strip the paint, by feeling for them with a small magnet held in the fingers like a pencil. This will also find some staples - they were used to hold some parts in place during the very complicated assembly, which has to be done quickly before the glue starts to go off.

The first part of the horn flare uses a couple of pieces of softwood, each cut to a specified profile. Everything else is in 19mm plywood, except for the baffle which is made in two parts (both 15mm if I remember right).

Edited by madboffin - 02 May 2020 at 5:22pm
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 6:06pm
19mm ply?
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by APC321 APC321 wrote:

19mm ply?

Yes, at that time we were still using imperial ply 3/4 inch so it was 19mm. 1/2 inch has shrunk to 12mm and inch has become 24mm. quite a bit of difference over a whole cab.

Edited by concept-10 - 02 May 2020 at 6:34pm
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 6:58pm
I think it was actually specified as 18mm, but we often referred to it as 19mm and sometimes it measured 19mm due to the tolerances. As per Concept-10, the name was a leftover from the imperial sizes.

Edited by madboffin - 02 May 2020 at 6:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>