Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dual 12+ HF

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2021 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

very nice Stef! Top Job!

btw., did you use PU glue or regular white woodglue?

Thanks Smile
I used water resistant (D4) white woodglue from Frencken to be precise. 

aw-audio84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aw-audio84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2021 at 2:50pm
This is my own Development

Compact dual 10" Horn Top #PSH210 

2 x 18Sound 10nmb420
1 x Faital HF146 on Oberton H1460 Horn

https://aw-audio.de/boxenbauplaene/PS-H210%20standard%20V1.pdf
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2021 at 3:15pm
^ is it necessary to place "advertising" in someones build project thread?

Wouldnt it be better to open you own thread to explain/present your Project? :)
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2021 at 5:48pm
Some progress with the first prototype:
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2021 at 3:21pm
Due to the (to) small room, mostly everything under 300Hz is not really usable. So here is the first set of not really usable measurements: LOL

Red is without a plate covering the 10" cones, light blue is half covered, rest is in between.
As expected, it definately helps getting the LF go some higher. I suspect the dip at +-300 Hz to be from the rather large S1. 

Also did some measurements with 6 70mm BR ports (above pic is without). Definately more LF output (by ear) Tuning was measured around 65Hz, but my laptop crashed just after the measurement, so could not save them Angry

Next step:
-Make S1 smaller
-Mount phase plugs (already made)
-Outside measurements

Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2021 at 11:44am
Looking nice!
With plates covering the woofers, do you mean that they fire through a slot loaded chamber, creating a acoustical lowpass?
If so; it would likely benefit moving the slots towards the throat a little to maximize loading by the horn as well as provide a smoother horn profile to minimize reflections.
What are your plans for a crossover point? The 800Hz rolloff suggests a capable 1.4" should be ample to not require phase plugs, and the DCX464 should definitely be suited that low, or even lower.

Edited by Teunos - 19 February 2021 at 11:45am
Best regards,
Teun.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2021 at 12:40pm
With that plate I create a half moon shape slot. With indeed the opening to the back maximizing the hornlength. If I go for a rectangular slot, there is more space left between S2 and S1. Due to the dimensions I cant place the drivers back any further.  The next panel will be fitted in the baffle cutout, and has a recessed ring for the driver to move freely.

As seen in the pic, it also helps with out of band peaks.
The DCX464 should be a nice combo. I already played a bit with the combo by ear, and it can certainly be loud. LOL
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2021 at 10:12am
First connector panel done;
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2021 at 3:28pm
V2 ready for testing:
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2021 at 3:40pm
Spent 5 min measuring the Cubo sub (no callibration what so ever), rain and wind prevented any further measurements unfortunately:

Response is as expected rising in the upper part of the passband. Needs some out of band EQ to tidy it up. Nonetheless, I like the sound. 
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2021 at 4:55pm
New set of measurements done on the 4x10" with the different slots (as seen two posts above).
This time a GP measurement, mic @1m on the ground. Used space was an carport this time, so still some problems with lower frequencies

No EQ:

With EQ (5 PEQ) and off-axis (0/12/24/35 degrees):

With this info, I would chose a 650/700 Hz crossover (depending on the used type) between LF and the HF driver. Also raising the tuning a bit from 65Hz to 80Hz.  

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2021 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

New set of measurements done on the 4x10" with the different slots (as seen two posts above).
This time a GP measurement, mic @1m on the ground. Used space was an carport this time, so still some problems with lower frequencies

No EQ:

With EQ (5 PEQ) and off-axis (0/12/24/35 degrees):

With this info, I would chose a 650/700 Hz crossover (depending on the used type) between LF and the HF driver. Also raising the tuning a bit from 65Hz to 80Hz.  

Good start, 1 metre is problematic though. The typically accepted norm for ground plane (or other measurements) is to go ~3x the largest cabinet dimension:
http://excelsior-audio.com/Publications/AES137_PD16_Measuring_Loudspeaker_Systems_rev06a.pdf

Another useful tip is to put the most reflective thing you can between the cabinet exit and the mic. You'll likely find this smooths things out a little.

What windowing is in use, if any?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>