Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best systems for DNB/Jungle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munchdnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best systems for DNB/Jungle?
    Posted: 05 May 2020 at 9:29pm
Hi, I am just starting out learning about soundsystems and am wanting to create a nice rig for the summer hopefully. I will be playing mostly DNB/Jungle (so quite bass heavy) on it and would just like to get some people's opinions on their favourite rigs that play this style of music and why? And then if you know it - what does their setup consist of? 

Sorry if there is already threads on this/info elsewhere, would just like to get some fresh opinions and any information or pointers in the right direction to plans/ideas is very much appreciated. I have a budget of around £4-5k but am also capable of building things myself - would just like to know people's recommendations are in terms of what to buy/plans to follow. 

Cheers in advance! All the best & stay safe.
spongebob View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 10:45pm
I would recommend reflex dual 18" subwoofers, something like a G Sub (plans are freely available to build them for free)

Making custom mid high cabinets is never an enonomical or easy route. You've picked a fantastic time to look at this as there are some absolute bargains out there for used pro audio gear. I would suggest two G Sub and one EAW KF850 per side to be a competant setup to start with
Chris Grimshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 8:41am
I'd say this rather depends on how many people you've got helping you move the cabinets.

The EAW KF850s, for example, weigh a smidge over 110kg. Getting one of those on top of some 2x18"s is not a one-man lift.
The KF850 is also a 55x40 box, so probably needs 2 per side for most venues anyway.

If it was mine, I'd set off with a pair of good 10-12" coaxial speakers with a manufacturer-recommended crossover, add as many good 18" subs as the budget allows (B&C 18SW115, for example), and run the whole thing off Behringer NX series amps. Use 4ohm sub drivers and put one per channel on an NX6000.
Grab a decent measurement mic (Beyer MM1 is the one I chose) and learn to use it, and you'll be all set.

Lots of people around here seem to like 4-way systems (subs, kicks, mids, highs), but a 3-way system is much easier to get right in terms of crossovers etc while still being capable of quite a lot of output, if you use the right stuff - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXuV-Cl0hmI
85dBC-slow (103dB peaks) at 280' from the stacks, with a total of 4x 15" subs and a pair of 2x10"+HF main speakers running on a single 13A extension lead.

Chris
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com
Jago View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2020 at 6:53pm
You clearly know what you're talking about. I've so much to learn. 
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2020 at 8:09pm
Coax drivers, discounting the BMS triaxials ( cost) are unlikely to have the bite desired for d&b etc. A medium/ large format horn fed from a 2” driver will more likely give you the 8-10KHz energy most people want from that genre.
Kf850 would do you well, if you have crew. Keep subs reflex if less than 4 “full sized” subs a side ( twin 18” or single 18” scoop)
If stacks reach 4 subs size then scoops or large folded horns become an option.

DONT skimp on amps. I know this is called Speakerplans and we are all far more interested in big speakers, but putting together a big rig without the right amps behind it is like running a BMW M5 with a VW Beetle engine, its not going to work......

Edited by csg - 29 June 2020 at 8:10pm
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 9:24am
get 4 super scoops( always around cheap ) and put some pd186 or v1000 in them, 2 a side with 2 eaw on top per side will be a great  easy system ,  but as said will need some well to get the eaws up , when we used them we had them on top of kick bins took 4 of us to do it safely!! 

Edited by paulus - 30 June 2020 at 9:25am
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
Radius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Radius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 10:59am
I would agree with G subs- they go to about 32hz, which is in fact low enough. if you want to go super low, it wil get technical, as you get into horn territory. For the moment, g subs are a good choice. I would also consider a powersoft. Quite simply the price tag might be half your budget, but you wil be able to expand on that. before you buy one tweater, consider storage and transport. How are you going to get those heavy boxes into a cellar bar for example. So get a decent "pallet track 2 or similar. Don't F about with crappy cables either. they will get hot. - nothing under 2.5mm core - blue Aran do decent prices. you want speakon, bare wire is hi fi stuff...then you get to storage..which is a pain in eth … and also think about cases..for all your more delicate stuff..you are going to want a decent speaker management /active crossover with limiter compression etc on it , and time delay if you're going to use loads of horns..you came to eth right place for sure.. I am still a noob, but I had a lot of fun with our little rig. Que eth experts to set me straight on anything I got wrong there :D
AKA the typo king...bear with me, my hands are big and the keyboard small....
 Post Reply Post Reply