Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lockdown Audio - A 12v 3way Small Rig Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lockdown Audio - A 12v 3way Small Rig Build
    Posted: 07 May 2020 at 9:21pm
I have always wanted to build something along the lines of this sort of thing for ages, but i knew absolutely nothing about it until recently when i joined a 12v audio facebook page in December and started to learn all about it. Then got pointed to this website too which has been even more helpful and full of great stuff!

Then when all this coronavirus stuff come around i thought perfect time to start a project being on lockdown etc.

After alot of reading around heres what i decided to go with

Subs: 2x Tham 12's, The Box Speaker 12-280-W drivers

Mids: 2x 10" Beyma SM110/N in custom enclosure

Tops: 2x 1" P-Audio BM-D26 Mk2 30W Compression Driver with B&C ME10 90 x 60 horns in custom enclosure

Crossovers: Convair Electronics 2-way Crossover 2.5KHz Butterworth

Started to build the first Tham. I went with The Box Speaker 12-280-W as they have been rated highly for budget 12v builds. Also the Tham style sub looked like a fairly straight forward design so a good one to start with as a newbie.

The sub driver next to my minirig

Put the minirig facing inside the Tham πŸ˜† really pumped it out! Cant wait to hear the actual sub in there now!πŸ˜ƒ

Driver test fit

Then after building the first one i started on the second, and now they are both fully finished. Just need painting which i will do all together when the mids and tops are completely done too.

I added small strips round the inside edge to fit grilles onto.

Edited by Jack1991 - 18 May 2020 at 2:11pm
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 9:27pm
UPDATE:

Then bought a Pioneer 8704 Class D 4 channel amplifier. Again these are highly rated on the 12v page.

The plan with the amp is to have the 2x subs wired in parallel and bridged to 2 channels. So they will receive 150w each. Then the mids and top will have a passive crossover per mid top so 1 mid and 1 top wired to 1 channel and then the remaining mid and top to the final remaining channel. They will be 8Ξ© so will receive ~70w each.

Started to plan mids and tops now! For the mids theres a lot more involved than i expected. Working out exactly the right volume of enclosure using the TS parameters of the drivers and getting my head around WinISD was a headache! But once that was sorted, working out how to then best make the enclosure to that size wasnt as bad.

Google sketchup is really good to use for this i think. I havent ever used anything like that before so it was a bit tricky to get used to but gave me a rough idea what it would look like, much better than my drawings on paper anyway. Also its cool they have the measurements and sizes on there so you can literally make it to size.

Heres my first go at what i want it to look like

The mids with a view inside and ports

Once settled on design i began to mark out and build

Dry test fit

I wasnt overly satified with the look of it though. I think the mids look too wide. The ratio doesnt look right. Also a few other guys on here helped me out by explaining how i should angle the mids and tops facing outwards to reduce comb filtering and beaming. 

So back to the drawing board. After messing around some more they now look like this.

Much happier with the look of it now, also much happier that i have hopefully reduced comb filtering and beaming. 2 things i had no idea of and never heard of before. So lucky they helped me out before i glued it all together. πŸ˜€πŸ‘πŸΌ

That sorted i glued the mids and tops

This is as far as i have got for now. Next up is sand, router edges, fill holes, then more sanding.

Edited by Jack1991 - 09 May 2020 at 1:36pm
dnbpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnbpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 11:21am
Looks wicked so far Clap
Pick & Mix Soundsystem
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by dnbpc dnbpc wrote:

Looks wicked so far Clap

Cheers mate!

Update: This afternoon i have sanded, then routered the edges, i used a 6mm round bit, filled the screw holes, then sanded again, first with 80 grit, then 120 grit, then finally a sanding pad which i think is ~240 grit.

Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 5:45pm
Wish my lockdown frankenbox looked like theese, good job
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Jo bg Jo bg wrote:

Wish my lockdown frankenbox looked like theese, good job

Thanks mate im happy with it so far! πŸ˜€πŸ‘πŸΌ

I havent seen your frankenbox Jo, do you have a link to a thread or photo? Id be interested in seeing it! 
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 9:32pm
Good work.

I bet you'll be very happy when you get to hear it.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 12:40pm
look fo 12v scrap subwoofer build, recent thread in 12v forum.
title says it all…
actually i bodged up a better crossover from parts recovered from thrashed speakers and it behaves better now.
If next week work is still low i have plans either to turn it into a bandpass , or to build a couple 100 liters Th. let's see how bored I am and ehat plans the Miss has...
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 1:24pm
Just checked it out the looks decent! You done a good job seeing as its its recycled stuff too. Look forward to seeing what you end up building next.

Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 1:31pm
UPDATE:

Done a coat of the Wood Dye on it all this morning. Only needs 1 coat of this. Then ill wait 24hrs and give it a coat of Danish oil, followed by another 24hr wait, then the final coat of danish oil.

I went with Light Oak colour

Then just standard Rustins Danish Oil to protect it and give a ever so slight sheen. Also brings the grain out nicely. I done them both on a tester piece of birch ply and it looks quite nice.

Edited by Jack1991 - 09 May 2020 at 1:32pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 1:43pm
Looking good. I do like the natural wood finish. Makes a change from black!   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 1:54pm
Thanks man! πŸ˜€πŸ‘πŸΌ

Yeh i do like the more natural look. Plus im kind of going for that old school reggae stack sort of style.

It does look quite orange at the moment but so did the tester piece. The danish oil darkened it a bit and made it look more 'woody' though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>