Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lockdown Audio - A 12v 3way Small Rig Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 8:14pm
Oh okay you measure each cab individually then... I need to do more research i think. Thanks again man! 

Edited by Jack1991 - 29 May 2020 at 8:14pm
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 8:21pm
The system you have now is modular, so you can measure them each to see what they do responswise, so later on you can recognise things when you measure it all together. For instance a dip occuring somewhere, while the individual parts don't have that dip on their own, is an indication that the combination has an issue, not an individual component.
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 8:50pm
You can get a non USB one, but bear in mind you'll need a soundcard with input and won't be calibrated. USB tends to be easier and less faff in general

I would recommend getting one, it's a worthwhile investment IMO
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 11:42am
Cool thanks again for the info guys 😀👍🏼

So once i have a dsp and microphone and have set it all up correctly. Or to the best of my ability. Does that then mean it will sound better no matter where i position the speakers? For example say i do the microphone set up in my garden. Then i decide to take the speakers to a friends house and set them up in his living room. They will sound better than before microhone set up. Or is it everytime you move them they need re-setting? Hope this makes sense.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Jack1991 Jack1991 wrote:

Cool thanks again for the info guys 😀👍🏼

So once i have a dsp and microphone and have set it all up correctly. Or to the best of my ability. Does that then mean it will sound better no matter where i position the speakers? 

Yes firstly - you set it up to be flat, phase friendly and sounding as you want outdoors

For example say i do the microphone set up in my garden. Then i decide to take the speakers to a friends house and set them up in his living room. They will sound better than before microhone set up. Or is it everytime you move them they need re-setting? 

When you next place speakers indoors, you'll have a whole ton of room interactions happening. You can choose to adjust for these, or not. Many don't bother - or just adjust by ear at each new location

Hope this makes sense.

Setting it up for flat outside is the most important. If the stack behaves well outdoors, then the inside interactions will have the least effect. 

Say you have a huge mid hump of +6dB at 1K6 from a incorrect crossover. If you did not fix this outside, then took it into a room that accentuated it by 3dB - then you'd have a whopping 9dB boost indoors. Which would sound fairly nasty!
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 12:30pm
Ahh okay cool perfect that makes sense now cheers! 😀👍🏼

I have been watching loads of videos about it all and i understand what the outcome is thats wanted now, getting that flat response, but how they get to that is still what im trying to understand. Goes straight over my head at the moment the terminology etc, its a lot to take in.
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 2:22pm
Indoor adjustments are valid only for  that particular room stacked in that position and configuration, and mic postion too, so don't worry too much.
Go outside , possibly on concrete, possibly ten or more meters from any building or surface.
You could use ground measurement for the bass up to a few hundred hertz to avoid groundbounce.  Google that. Difficult to use on higher frequency so rise your mic for that. Measure in a few spots  to compare trends, if a you have a peak on axis but on the majority of the useful dispersion it's not there you may want to leave it, averaging multiple mics posituon works if sofware allows.
Don't obsess on equing everything super flat, or about sharp thin dips that will not be audible, and try to use more subctractive eq than boosts.
Usually dsp have an input eq and per output eq.
You can do the alignment and general per driver eq on the output section and don't mess with it any longer, then use the input section for situation eq, like taming one or two nasty resonancies in the room, maybe you want to shelf the highs or do other adjustments without messing with the system basic tuning

Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 2:27pm
Measuring will take some learning curve but will teach you a lot about sound and rooms. Post your measurements here with picture of the measurements settings ( this is very important ) and you will learn a lot from your first mistakes.
Try to get hold of a mic with individual correction curve if possible(linked to serial number, not general for the product).
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 3:22pm
Cool okay thanks Jo bg 🙂👍🏼

Right few things im unsure of and could use some help please. And just checking im correct on some stuff too.

So the amplifier has 4 rca inputs (1 per channel) Channel 1 is for 1 mid/top. Channel 2 is for the 2nd mid/top, then channels 3&4 are bridged which the subs are on linked in parrallel. So when i go from the dsp output (which is 1/4 jack) id go output 1, 1/4 jack to rca on channel 1 of the amp. Same for output 2 to channel 2 on amp. Then output 3 would i need to get a 1/4 jack to TWIN rca to go into channels 3 and 4 on the amp? Or just go to 1 channel?

Secondly once the dsp is wired correctly do i turn off the lpf and hpf on the amplifier and just use the filters within the dsp instead? Also do the gain settings on the amplifier still get used like normal or do i turn this to there lowest positions and use the gain within the dsp instead?

Thirdly, at the moment the mids and tops are joined by a 2.5k passive crossover each. Would i be best leaving that in and wiring as said in question 1 or would it be better for me to remove the passive crossovers and then wire the Tops to there own channel in parrallel, then the mids in parrallel to there own channel instead. So i could then change the crossover point and other things more freely?

Final question for now at least. A bit vague i know, but do you think adding a dsp and setting it all up correctly with a microphone be noticeably better to a complete newbie like myself, only asking as it will be mainly used just for fun in fields or parks with a group of drunken mates and probably a few people who join in. I just want the cost of the microphone and dsp to be justified by a decent noticeable difference in sound. Or is it the sort of thing only a audiophile would notice?

Cheers again guys 😀👍🏼

Edited by Jack1991 - 31 May 2020 at 8:56pm
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2020 at 3:12pm
UPDATE:

Little update for now but should have a decent update on friday. 

With the weather so nice decided to begin making  2 more Tham12s in the garden today. Then when i go to buy the drivers i will probably get a dsp then at the same time. I need to wait till payday though and see.

Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2020 at 10:29pm
Finally got the grilles on the subs! 

Now to build 2 more tham12s... 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2020 at 9:16am
Looks real slick!

Re. The microphone / DSP. Both will contribute significantly to the sound, and will be noticeable (drunk or not drunk) - no 'audiophile' ears needed Thumbs Up

Worth noting though, that a DSP takes a little time & microphone needs more time again to get the most out of them.

Neither are an instant fix, but do unlock the full potential - if you have the time and inclination to learn!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>