Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lockdown Audio - A 12v 3way Small Rig Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2021 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by nilspixel nilspixel wrote:

Another question about your project came up in my head...

Do you use the same powersource for both your amp and dsp? Any problems with unwanted noise?

thanks and keep going. i'd also be interested in your dsp setup when done ;)

Yes all running off the same battery mate and no i havent had any problems with any noise so far.

In terms of dsp setup i have just set the delays, the crossover points, then the gains i have set using a osilloscope on the sub channels and set it so they are not clipping. The mids and tops gain i have then just adjusted to sound nice with the subs.

To be honest having set all these i hear no difference to before i had the dsp. But i didnt think it sounded bad at all before anyway, it sounded great, just i notice no difference after. However I can understand now how a measurement microphone and testing my system would really help. As by ear and still being a newbie to it all i have no idea if i have phase issues or other things that i dont even know about without testing it using a measurement microphone.

I have had a look into it and it does seem very hard to understand the graphs and what to actually look for, and then how to correct it etc. Its not something i can really do in my back garden either by the sounds of it. But its definitely something I will get round to in the future.

Edited by Jack1991 - 21 June 2021 at 8:32pm
nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2021 at 4:57pm
sweet :) thanks again!

without dsp you won't be able to control what's going on right? especially to seperate tops from mids as the amp doesn't have a lot of outputs to choose from...

btw: what battery do you use? did i skip this information?

cheers

Edited by nilspixel - 21 June 2021 at 4:59pm
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2021 at 5:22pm
No problem 🙂

Before i got the dsp i had passive crossovers. So the chain goes 1 channel of amplifier to passive crossover, then on the passive crossover you have 1 mid and 1 top. The passive crossover seperates the mid top frequencys.

Battery i use is a 12v 110ah Leoch AGM Leisure battery
nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2021 at 6:42pm
Heart

nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2021 at 7:22pm
have you considered to get a second amp? or is it still fine this one pioneer?
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2021 at 7:42pm
No this 1 amp is fine for what i need & want out of it.
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2021 at 4:55pm
*update*

Took 1 sub and midtop out on the cart a few weeks ago and noticed now and then only at certain points and certain tunes the grille would rattle on the Tham.

So bought some 3mm x 15mm grille tape off Blue Aran and sorted them all out today. Annoyingly i didnt plan for this when fitting the actual grille battens so I didnt have the room to fit the tape without the grilles protruding, i tested it on 1 and it looked shit! 

I had to router each batten down a extra 3mm. Although i ended up doing roughly ~4-5mm just to sit it back nicely. There is zero rattle now. Also i rekon they look alot better too, the black of the tape makes them look more 'finished' i think. Photos dont show it as well as real life. Shame i cant upload a video as i have a good comparison of before and after sound wise.

Edited by Jack1991 - 19 August 2021 at 4:56pm
nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2021 at 10:25pm
nice one! really enjoy your projcet ;) mine has also gone forward. check out my post if interested ;)

what i was thinking about lately: does it make a difference to only go from 6,3mm jack to one channel of the chinch instead of two? does it make a difference in volume? because normaly you'd always use both for left and right channels.. right?

Edited by nilspixel - 24 August 2021 at 10:26pm
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 10:25am
Originally posted by nilspixel nilspixel wrote:

nice one! really enjoy your projcet ;) mine has also gone forward. check out my post if interested ;)

what i was thinking about lately: does it make a difference to only go from 6,3mm jack to one channel of the chinch instead of two? does it make a difference in volume? because normaly you'd always use both for left and right channels.. right?

Cool thanks again man. Ill have a look at yours now.

As for the question, i dont really know what you mean sorry.
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2022 at 10:19am
Should the bottom 2 subs be upside down? If so whats the pros/cons of having them that way vs this way?

I saw photos of other people rigs and some have the bottom ones upside down. But cant really find info on it, not sure im using the correct terminology when searching about it.

hectorberman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hectorberman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2022 at 7:01pm
a good idea would be to turn all the subs on their sides with all the mouths together...

you would likely gain volume due to the coupling between the boxes without losing the coupling with the ground. only your ears will be able to tell if there's a real difference though!

try googling 'subwoofer coupling' or 'driver coupling'

Edited by hectorberman - 31 January 2022 at 7:02pm
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2022 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by hectorberman hectorberman wrote:

a good idea would be to turn all the subs on their sides with all the mouths together...

you would likely gain volume due to the coupling between the boxes without losing the coupling with the ground. only your ears will be able to tell if there's a real difference though!

try googling 'subwoofer coupling' or 'driver coupling'

Ahh coupling ok cool thanks man. I will do some research on it now. Cheers!

Having them in that formation of them on their sides i see what you mean. But if its in this formation as in the photo. But the bottom 2 subs upside down so the mouths are facing each other does that have any negative/positive effect? 

Edited by Jack1991 - 31 January 2022 at 8:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>