Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lockdown Audio - A 12v 3way Small Rig Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 11:56am
great work Thumbs Up
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
Jimi Handtrix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimi Handtrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 8:14pm
Many thanks for the detailed walk-through! I'm currently building a similar setup (I have 1x Cubo15 built and wired), and just finished the top-section today (with 2x 1" drivers + horn flares). I'll also be running from a Pioneer GM-D8704 and a miniDSP. There are a lot of points explained well here which I had been wondering about (and also the idea of angling the mid and top sections has given me some food for thought) - so thanks for that! 
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 9:45am
No problem Jimi im glad its helped out. Look forward to seeing the build! šŸ™‚šŸ‘šŸ¼

Edited by Jack1991 - 24 May 2020 at 9:46am
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 8:16pm
First time testing it outdoors today. It sounded a lot louder and clearer. Which surprised me as i imagined inside my garage it would have been significantly louder??

Edited by Jack1991 - 26 May 2020 at 8:16pm
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 9:08pm

I noticed several years ago my 4 Thams work much better in larger halls or outdoors, they donā€™t seem to do so well in smaller spacesā€¦ I have no idea why this is but itā€™s something Iā€™ve noticed in several small venues.

Iā€™ve been doing an annual event for the same client for the last 10 yearsā€¦ for about 200 people outdoors (large garden party), 4 Thams makes the tiles rattle on clients out houses without being driven hard!!

I have another annual event thatā€™s in a marque in the middle of a field for a tennis club; we get complaints about the bass from about Ā½ mile away, again without driving them hardā€¦..

ā€¦.Yet in a small pub about a mile from home (that should be no trouble at all) we have to drive them fairly hard to get any decent bass out of them.   

Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 9:23pm
Strange yeh thats exactly what happened here! Im glad you said the same though APW as i was wondering if it was in my mind haha. 

Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 9:51pm
First thing that comes to mind, could be the placement in this relatively smaller spaces.
It's not so difficult to have (sub)bass cabs positioned from walls at a distance around 1/4th of a wavelength in it's frequency range, making for some serious dips in response by destructive cancellations. SPL dips and peaks vary also depending on where you are in the space.
This situation is less possible in outdoor situations, where there probably aren't any nearby, hard surfaces for low frequency waves to bounce off from and create those destructive and constructive interferences.

infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 7:34am

Here is the basic principle. 

Bare minimum structure on the left. On the right is an example of 4xTHAM 12 with extensions, stacked differently and with example bracing. You could probably manage to make them stack inside each other for storage with some creative thinking.

In answer to your PM:

They are less popular in commercial PA as take up a relatively large amount of volume - where more cabinets or amplifier power is usually used and horn loaded designs are normally second to reflex. 

There are a couple of examples on here, the last I saw was for a solar powered system, they're a more popular concept on DIYaudio. Seen them used at St. Pauls Carnival by Void - great fun in a narrow street...

Edited by infrasound - 27 May 2020 at 7:37am
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 9:24am
Oh okay that makes sense then Peter Jan. Im glad that outside does sound better as it will mainly be used outdoors.

Thanks too infrasound for the info on those! Initially i wasnt sure but the more i look the more i like the idea! I think ill give it a go in future and see how it sounds. Ill have to find them pictures of void using them at st pauls carnival would love to see it in real life! šŸ˜€šŸ‘šŸ¼
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 9:28am

Here you go, fancy bracing is optional

Edited by infrasound - 27 May 2020 at 9:30am
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 9:53am
Oh sound thats decent! The fancy bracing does make it look a lot more appealing! Does the bracing need to be certain angles or edges put on them or no?

Also is the mouth extension permenantly attached to the tham or it just temporarily placed up against it sort of thing.

Edited by Jack1991 - 27 May 2020 at 9:56am
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:01am
So long as it's "in line" with the direction of the sound (wavefront) its OK. Take a look at other horn loaded designs and you'll get the idea.

In terms of requirements:

It needs to be sealed to the unit, something like your draught foam will be fine. They also would ideally be rigidly mounted and fairly rigidly made. I would advise they were removable, maybe latched onto the front when needed - otherwise are going to be super awkward to move.

You have quite a bit of leeway with the design of them to be honest - they aren't too sensitive to geometry changes and you can do any kind of weird & wonderful bracing you fancied
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>