Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lockdown Audio - A 12v 3way Small Rig Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2020 at 9:29am
Thanks infrasound! Im pleased with it so far.

Thats good with the dsp too. I think im sold on it now then! Im going to have a lot of newbie questions though trying to learn it. 

Do you still use the lpf/hpf on the amplifier? Or should they be turnt off? And also the gain on the amplifier is that still used?
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2020 at 9:39am
The hpf/ lpf will be made redundant on the amplifier by the DSP. Best to just disable.

In terms of gain on amplifier this is the normal approach:

Turn all gains up to max. on the amplifiers. This stops anything being turned up 'beyond' where its supposed to (especially if you have limiters on the DSP), and makes it easy to balance system as there's no "turn it to around 12 o'clock for the right level"

It may well be the case you have extra noise on the outputs (maybe in HF) so you may need to dial it down a bit on amplifier to accommodate. Of course you may run into issues with turning up 'too far', not good times for compression drivers and/or ears.
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2020 at 12:14pm
Cool thanks again infrasound. That all makes perfect sense. 

I assume on the dsp there is attenuation aswell? So i can bring the tops down 12db as ill be running the tops joined parallel on there own channel rather than on the passive crossover(which had the resistors on to bring it down) with the mids. Then ill have the mids joined parallel and on there own channel too.

Edited by Jack1991 - 26 June 2020 at 12:15pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2020 at 2:34pm
Yes, gains and routing are all handled in there.

And yes, if you have an amplifier channel for the mids and an amplifier channel for the tweeters then you'll be able to get rid of the XO. (Of course it'll be running in mono). Means you can time align, shift / change type of XO, EQ, get more power handling, etc
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2020 at 3:00pm
Cool perfect! Sounds good, i will start reading up on it a bit more soon then to try and learn the basics before getting it. Thanks again man
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2020 at 6:51pm
Heres my side project ive been building in the meantime.

Sack Truck Sounds!

First outing today it sounds pretty decent.

Edited by Jack1991 - 26 July 2020 at 6:33pm
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 7:08pm
Oh yeh also i ment to ask this the other day. When stacking multiple tham subs, I know you said it increases SPL. But does it also make them play slightly lower too?

Edited by Jack1991 - 27 June 2020 at 7:08pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 7:34pm
By a small amount.. However, with the EQ in the DSP, you'll be able to pull +6dB more LF out of them with the extra headroom.

If you wanted to go much lower - you'd either want to look at extensions or lower tuned subs

Sack truck sounds looks bang on Cool
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 7:51pm
Ah okay is it just scoops then that seem to drop a good bit lower when adding multiples?

Also thanks man! It was decent. I will be taking it out again soon properly though next time! 

Edited by Jack1991 - 27 June 2020 at 7:51pm
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Jack1991 Jack1991 wrote:

Ah okay is it just scoops then that seem to drop a good bit lower when adding multiples?

Also thanks man! It was decent. I will be taking it out again soon properly though next time! 

Front loaded horns drop lower in multiples, reflex bins do also, tapped horns are a bit of an odd ball when it comes to coupling, I have lots and you will get a small amount of low extension but nothing like a FLH, as for scoops ? who cares Wink
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 8:21pm
Ah okay cool thanks concept! What is a good example of a front loaded horn? I did think all horns were the same i didnt realise there were sub genres of horns 

Haha ah yeh ive heard of the scoop vs horn thing. In the middle of building 2 more thams anyway so hopefully in a few weeks i can test out the 4 together! 

Edited by Jack1991 - 27 June 2020 at 8:22pm
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 9:10pm
Martin 215 is a good example of a FLH, the Thomann drivers you are using in your Thams are very under rated in my opinion, we have them in some of our 12" Tapped horns and they are good into the high 20s, in fact we high pass them at 22hz, it is a much bigger cab than the Tham 12 though. You will be impressed with four Tham 12s, maybe a couple of hz lower but a lot louder and a lot more impact, really impressed with what you have achieved so far, keep up the good work. :) 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>