Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lockdown Audio - A 12v 3way Small Rig Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 14>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 9:40pm
Cool i will search them now. Glad you rate the Thomanns too, a good few forums i have read all seem too like these thomann drivers. I have nothing to compare them to but they are better than i expected for the money. Im real excited to get all 4 Thams going!

What 12" tapped horns you using? Id be interested in seeing the setup.

Thanks too, i have learnt alot from you guys. I really appreciate all the help! ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
munkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 10:23pm
Which of the thomann drivers would you use? The w or the a?  
the midtops!
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 10:25pm
I believe the small mouth area of TH is partially to fault for lowering LF cutoff.

Plus, they are rarely used in enough quantity to force much LF pattern control.
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by munkey munkey wrote:

Which of the thomann drivers would you use? The w or the a?  

I am using the 12-280-W

I heard the 12-280-A can be used for the cubo kick 12

Edited by Jack1991 - 27 June 2020 at 10:33pm
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by infrasound infrasound wrote:

I believe the small mouth area of TH is partially to fault for lowering LF cutoff.

Plus, they are rarely used in enough quantity to force much LF pattern control.

Ah ok cool so the barndoor extensions would add lower extension then?

Edited by Jack1991 - 27 June 2020 at 10:33pm
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 10:43pm
They mainly do it by a different mechanism (increasing path length)

Just to make it more complicated Wink
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 10:45pm
Haha ah ok another complicated speaker thing i need to learn then 
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2020 at 3:07pm
In my experience the biggest thing you will notice when using tapped horns is they get much, much louder when fired into a corner, than other bins. I've successfully filled a 10x15x3m bar with loud, deep bass using just one 12" tapped horn aimed into a corner from 3 feet back, loaded with an old McKenzie 300 watt driver, on a 500 watt amp channel. 

The small size of most TH bins makes this easy to do in real world situations. I suppose the full corner loading makes up for the lack of mouth area on the bin itself.

Of course it's not really relevant when playing outside, unless you're next to a building.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2020 at 4:46pm
Oh cool i will give this a try in the garage see how it goes! Thanks man

It also seems having the rig on a pallet sounds better than having it on the floor. Is there a reason for this too or just coincidence?

Edited by Jack1991 - 28 June 2020 at 5:19pm
Jimjimjimmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimjimjimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 10:39am
Another nooby question Smile.. How have you routed the speaker cable through your Thams? Do you have speakons on the back and the cable running up through the horn or another way?

APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 11:20am

Most builders drill a small tight fitting hole for the cable(s) roughly in one of the locations shown in red below, just make sure itโ€™s airtight (use corking or neutral curing silicon) once the cable is fitted:

Speakon connectors can be fitted anywhere on the rear panel where there is room.

Personally I wrap the cable(s) in cloth โ€œloomโ€ tape (tesa 51608 or similar), this stops them vibrating against the inside of the horn.

Edited by APW - 30 June 2020 at 11:45am
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Jimjimjimmer Jimjimjimmer wrote:

Another nooby question Smile.. How have you routed the speaker cable through your Thams? Do you have speakons on the back and the cable running up through the horn or another way?

I went through the back straight level height to where the connectors on the speaker driver are. And used a double speakon socket plate. And then i used Black "the dogs bollocks" (yes its actually called that) says it cures in 24 hours. But it was probably 3 days anyway before i had a chance to fit the drivers. 

I think they say some sealants like silicone, the fumes can eat away at the speaker or something like that.

I twisted then dabbed a bit of solder on the ends of the speaker cable too. Made it alot easier getting them into the speaker fittings as its tight inside and you cant can what your doing.

Edited by Jack1991 - 30 June 2020 at 12:18pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 14>