Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2x15" front loaded horn F2B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 1:45pm
if you make all the parts in red out of solid timber that baffle is going to incredibly well braced. you could make that 6mm baffle piece even thinner to wrangle 2mm or 3mm extra. I assume the original design had flares expaning the letter box in the vertical dimension in that first few centimetres of the throat.

maybe make the 18mm baffle piece smaller and removable with the driver. that way if you ever want to use a different driver with different sized cutout, bolt pattern, or want to increase excursion clearance above 18mm, you can just make a new baffle. fix it into the solid timber points with eight large threaded inserts and should be solid.

you need to be careful rebateding that much out of the panel behind the driver. going from 18mm to 8mm reduces the stiffness by a factor of about 11. it's not a massive area but it could be enough to reduce the Q of the rear enclousure and affect the system efficiency. How about using an aluminium plate for the access panel - aluminium is about ten times stiffer than plywood.

its an extreme, but for an example system - if Qmc falls from 20 to 5, system efficiency goes down from 46% to 35%, which reduces thermally limited max output by ~2dB

Edited by snowflake - 28 May 2020 at 1:55pm
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 9:30pm
Not to mention that having the panel that thin makes it liable to external damage.

I would normally want to stiffen a panel in the rear chamber, not weaken it. The pressures are quite significant.

8mm aluminium would be good and act as a heat exchanger.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

Not to mention that having the panel that thin makes it liable to external damage.

I would normally want to stiffen a panel in the rear chamber, not weaken it. The pressures are quite significant.

8mm aluminium would be good and act as a heat exchanger.

also you need to place some recessed bar handles - only place they can really go is on the rear chamber. fit them with gaskets and mounting plates to get them totally airtight and stiff. and even more heatsinks!
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 6:36am
One of my main goals for this is to keep it easy to build. Part of that is keeping the bill of materials and list of skills required to build it short.

Having said that these are some good ideas. A member is building two of these as we speak, will suggest he start conservative with removing material behind the driver. 

In the next version of the plan (to come after feedback from the builder) I will point out that there are options to improve on a simple plywood design eg. aluminium access hatch and using solid timber to make all the parts in red. 

Thanks for the feedback. 
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 9:26pm
I just realised something about this F2B horn. leaving the first few centimetres of 'rubber throat' aside, even if you calculate a hyerbolic horn with M=0 it still doesn't expand quite as slowly at the throat and as quickly near the mouth as this horn. I was wondering why none of my designs based on Leach's reactance annulling came anywhere close to the F2B. So what is the theory behind this?
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 11:14pm
You got to remember this was all designed as a system. Part flown. Part ground stack.

djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Digbethdave Digbethdave wrote:

You got to remember this was all designed as a system. Part flown. Part ground stack.

And?
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
tilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2020 at 9:09pm
Hey guys, great thread! Thanks for sharing all the knowledge and info here, enjoyed reading all. 
  Just recently, I bought 4 of the F2Bs unloaded and now I am debating what to load them with. I d like to ask you guys to help me out to have a good idea of what would be the best ( most cost effective as well of course) option.

I have two pairs of PD156s which I could use in two of  them , they will just about to fit with a little modification to the mounting area in the box. What do you guys think how will this sound ? 

I also have a pair of RCF L15P-200/a   which i m thinking to fit in the third one and maybe get a pair of these to the forth F2b.

I understand that the above may not be ideal and of course all boxes with the same matching drivers are the real deal. This may be on the radar next year but for now i need to work with what I have. 

Whats do you guys think ? 

Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2020 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

Originally posted by Digbethdave Digbethdave wrote:

And?
Also a good reason for 1/4 pack.

I don't personally think ythe F2B needs redesigning, to the extent it now becomes something different. It's a good box, it is what it is. And I applaud people like jimmer who use it for what it is. 
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2020 at 9:36am
To be strictly accurate, it was specifically designed to be as versatile as possible, and equally usable stacked or flown.

Anyway I have found another picture, mixed stacked and flown, using the retrofit Technique fly bar system for the mids and tops:

http://www.spamabyss.net/pictures/F2NNSL.jpg

Edited by madboffin - 08 July 2020 at 9:39am
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2020 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by tilla tilla wrote:

Hey guys, great thread! Thanks for sharing all the knowledge and info here, enjoyed reading all. 
  Just recently, I bought 4 of the F2Bs unloaded and now I am debating what to load them with. I d like to ask you guys to help me out to have a good idea of what would be the best ( most cost effective as well of course) option.

I have two pairs of PD156s which I could use in two of  them , they will just about to fit with a little modification to the mounting area in the box. What do you guys think how will this sound ? 

I also have a pair of RCF L15P-200/a   which i m thinking to fit in the third one and maybe get a pair of these to the forth F2b.

I understand that the above may not be ideal and of course all boxes with the same matching drivers are the real deal. This may be on the radar next year but for now i need to work with what I have. 

those drivers won't be terrible but you would do a lot better getting eight matching:

http://www.loudspeakerdatabase.com/RCF/MB15N405
or
http://www.loudspeakerdatabase.com/Beyma/15P80Nd

have a think about bolt patterns and whether it will be easy to upgrade to other drivers in future.

Edited by snowflake - 08 July 2020 at 1:12pm
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2020 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

[QUOTE=tilla]Hey guys, great thread! Thanks for sharing all the knowledge and info here, enjoyed reading all. 

those drivers won't be terrible but you would do a lot better getting eight matching:

http://www.loudspeakerdatabase.com/RCF/MB15N405
or
http://www.loudspeakerdatabase.com/Beyma/15P80Nd

have a think about bolt patterns and whether it will be easy to upgrade to other drivers in future.

Edited by concept-10 - 08 November 2020 at 8:46am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>