Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2x15" front loaded horn F2B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2020 at 11:37am
I received some actual real world feedback about different drivers in this cab. Thank you very much to the user that sent this to me and gave permission to relay the information to this thread. 

Here are a couple of quote from him:

First he tried the pd.1550, this was back in may
'it's all true, the FB2 is a bloody monster Smile, built an MDF prototype with very tired 1550s and only a CA9 and it is stunning'

A couple of says ago he tried the 
15P80Nd and Kappa 15LF

'
ran the cab with the neo Beymas on Sunday, bloody hell it makes a noise, running of half a CA9 the impact was very strong, the CA9 is giving it nothing like the power it needs but it was very impressive, the impact and tonality is better than the 1550'

'
The Kappas are a no go, sound terrible, going to run the Beymas very hard at the weekend and see how they last,'
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2020 at 4:30pm
bit of ripple but get better in a stack:

BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2020 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

bit of ripple but get better in a stack:

You left a space on the end of the URL when you cut n pasted, which makes the URL look like this:

http://www.loudspeakerdatabase.com/Radian/2216Neo%20

http://www.loudspeakerdatabase.com/Radian/2216Neo

Above will work

Edited by BJtheDJ - 03 September 2020 at 9:41pm
If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2020 at 10:44pm
at 750usd each the radian option doesnt look tempting tbh., compard to 15ds115 or 15nmb1000?
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2020 at 7:27pm
Interested as to whether anyone is able, or has been able, to test a group of say, 4 F2Bs with any of the new drivers. I would think that the lf extension of 4 cabs arrayed correctly could at least match a similar number of scoops. The punch of the originals would seem to have been impressive, to say the least, so adding new drivers and several thousand 'extra' watts of input would seem to promise extreme results.
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2020 at 8:38pm
Running modern power levels and very high-powered drivers would probably require some extra cooling - certainly more space behind the speaker vent, as discussed previously.

In the original system the drivers could get quite warm during a day of loud rock bands at a festival and there would definitely be some power compression. I can remember unstacking large festival systems at the end of a string of heavy metal performances and finding the covers on the speaker chambers warm to the touch.

Maybe make the baffle with a thick sheet of aluminium between the driver frame and the wooden board, or invent some clever form of driver cooling using a heatsink with air or liquid heat transfer?

Or just accept that the world has moved on and design a new box more suited to modern requirements, although I suspect Tom Danley has covered that need already!

It might be best to keep these vintage boxes more or less as they were designed, they work very well for what they are.
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2020 at 1:33pm
Madboffin, you're going to have to change your handle to SensibleBoffin if you keep this up  Wink
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2020 at 10:33am
With the aluminium panel, I think cooling should improve a lot, especially as it should be exposed to fresh air in most stacking configurations. If you are really committed to cooling the driver you could connect the driver to the panel with a piece of metal, turning the panel in to heat sink for the driver. 

I think as far as designing a new box goes, there are lots of diy kick bins around, I think people just like the way this one sounds. Apart from clearance behind the driver, I am not sure what else you can do to improve cooling, warm rear chambers are common in FLHs.

Worse case, you have to reduce power by 1-2dB to prevent overheating but lets be honest, if you are pushing it that hard, maybe you don't have enough rig for the gig. 

When I get time I will sim the 15nmb1000 and the Radian. I am not going to sim the 15DS115 as i know it will sound awful in this cab, even if you somehow make it fit. Even the sales people from B&C say it doesn't sound good over 150hz, its really intended as a sub driver. 
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2020 at 9:53pm
Check out Wayne Parham and 12pi audio. They had come up with a heat transfer aid for labhorns, that involved a piece of  thick aluminium  pipe machined precisely to fit the polevent of the transducer (aided by thermal paste lubing Embarrassed ) and then attached/bolted  to the aluminium service hatch.

Edited by bob4 - 12 September 2020 at 9:53pm
TribeGut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TribeGut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2020 at 7:25pm
In the Hornresp simulation on page3 S4 is 2750. 
If taken into account that the share one horn, S4 must be around 5000. 
With S4=5000 you get a way better response nearly flat. But also this would mean splitting the horn in two parts is not possible without making the cab wider?

Edited by TribeGut - 06 November 2020 at 11:28am
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2020 at 7:54pm
Not correct, there are 2 drivers so mouth area ‘seen’ by one unit is half of the total cabinet front area.
TribeGut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TribeGut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2020 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Contour Contour wrote:

Not correct, there are 2 drivers so mouth area ‘seen’ by one unit is half of the total cabinet front area.

Is there any theory behind it that would back this up, I think they share one mouth from S3-S4 so S4 musst be the total front area or at least more than half.
Also if I set S4=5000 i get way better results in the simulation with one or two drivers..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>