Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can you dim lasers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can you dim lasers?
    Posted: 17 May 2020 at 2:18pm
I know there are many dimming lighting controllers for LED lights but can you dim a laser light?
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Fred_dibna Fred_dibna wrote:

I know there are many dimming lighting controllers for LED lights but can you dim a laser light?

If it can't be done electrically or electronically I'm pretty certain that putting photographic filter in front of it would do the trick.

Of course if the laser is really powerful then it may burn out the filter LOL
If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
Fred_dibna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 2:54pm
Yeah i've searched high and low for any information on it and can't find one thing. So i'm guessing only LED and PAR can kind of lights can be dimmed.  
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 2:58pm
Lasers can be varied in power output, but it's done within the laser rather than using a separate dimmer. What unit do you have, and what are you trying to achieve?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 3:10pm
I don't have one yet but I absolutely want the Laserworld EL-900RGB it's brilliant. I wanna use it in a pub venue which is the new venue i'll be doing dance music parties at. The problem is it's far too powerful.

Edited by Fred_dibna - 17 May 2020 at 3:11pm
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 3:44pm
Well despite the unit being dmx controlled it doesn't have a dimmer channel, so no way of "dimming" it on board. What makes you think it would be too bright? It's not a particularly high power unit, *disclaimer* that said it is a laser source so great care and attention needs to be taken with it or you can cause permanent ocular damage. 
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 4:29pm
With lasers: in doubt do not use.. a pub will be rather low so you will be beaming into peoples eyes at a short distance. I looked at the movie of the effect and this is a fun machine but with half a watt can be dangerous if used in close proximity.
Andylaser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andylaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 4:42pm
Possibly by turning down the diode drive current, but not guaranteed to work. Depends on the driver circuit.
"music so loud, that if we move in next door to you; your lawn will die" - Lemmy
Andylaser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andylaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 4:44pm
If you think the laser is too powerful for the venue then you absolutely shouldnt be using it there.
Part of the "official paperwork" is a risk assessment, which you have admitted to failing already.
"music so loud, that if we move in next door to you; your lawn will die" - Lemmy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Andylaser Andylaser wrote:

If you think the laser is too powerful for the venue then you absolutely shouldnt be using it there.
Part of the "official paperwork" is a risk assessment, which you have admitted to failing already.

What are you about pal? I've not said i'm absolutely going to use it and screw the risks have I? So what gave you the idea that I said that? Read it properly I said I absolutely want the laser I didn't say i'm absolutely using it in the pub. If I didn't care about the risks I wouldn't of asked if it could be dimmed would I.

Edited by Fred_dibna - 17 May 2020 at 6:24pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Bams Bams wrote:

With lasers: in doubt do not use.. a pub will be rather low so you will be beaming into peoples eyes at a short distance. I looked at the movie of the effect and this is a fun machine but with half a watt can be dangerous if used in close proximity.

It's more than that it's 900mw not 500mw, i'll be buying the laser regardless because I might be able to use it somewhere else and i'll test it out when I get it but if it is indeed too powerful it won't be used in the pub. Here is the video to show you how powerful it is, and this is in a medium sized warehouse/lighting demo room.

djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Fred_dibna Fred_dibna wrote:

...It's more than that it's 900mw not 500mw...

900mW in total, I haven't looked at the specs, but you'll probably find its something like, 500mW red, 100mW green and 300mW blue.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>