Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can you dim lasers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 10:27am
Yeah that's true. :)
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 8:44pm
Couple decent moonflower will do a pub. 
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 1:14am
Originally posted by Fred_dibna Fred_dibna wrote:

Originally posted by Bams Bams wrote:

With lasers: in doubt do not use.. a pub will be rather low so you will be beaming into peoples eyes at a short distance. I looked at the movie of the effect and this is a fun machine but with half a watt can be dangerous if used in close proximity.

It's more than that it's 900mw not 500mw, i'll be buying the laser regardless because I might be able to use it somewhere else and i'll test it out when I get it but if it is indeed too powerful it won't be used in the pub. Here is the video to show you how powerful it is, and this is in a medium sized warehouse/lighting demo room.

discotastic!

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 1:28am
I remember the days when pubs had 20w argon water cooled lasers......
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 8:28am
Dimming of LED lamps including LED lasers is not like traditional dimming. The light source is switched on and of at a very fast rate. The difference between the on and off time gives a perceived change in brightness. So a source of a 500mw will still kick it’s full power but only in very short bursts. If you’re thinking of using a laser of the power your talking please do some research into laser MPE maximum permissible exposure . Even a very brief burst from a laser is enough to do damage so even when they are dimmed they can cause damage. Putting beam divergence lenses can diffuse the beam but you will still need to do the calculations. I’d also look into local authority licensing regarding lasers. I know that ANY crowdscanning no matter how controlled is banned in Manchester.

Edited by monkeypuzzle - 19 May 2020 at 8:29am
blah blah blah blah blah......
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 9:46am
If a laser does this to a camera what’s it doing to your eyes?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12