Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

looking for crossover amplifier

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanclarkdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: looking for crossover amplifier
    Posted: 22 May 2020 at 10:43pm
Hi guys, I am new to the speaker DIY

I have a euro power EP4000 amplifier currently which I will be using for the 18inch bass bins I plan to get made, however I've been made away which I never knew, was that I would need another amp / crossover for the tops speakers. 

Can anyone send me a link to something which isn't too costly and will do the job for this please

am I right in saying this is how you connect up

My Pionner DJM900 nexus mixer into to the EP4000 ampler
ep4000 into the bass speakers 

tops speakers into amp with built in crossover 

then the crossover into the EP4000? 

Thanks
Sonic the hedge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic the hedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 9:58am
Originally posted by jordanclarkdj jordanclarkdj wrote:

am I right in saying this is how you connect up

My Pionner DJM900 nexus mixer into to the EP4000 ampler
ep4000 into the bass speakers 

tops speakers into amp with built in crossover 

then the crossover into the EP4000? 

It more common to use a separate crossover/LMS with two or more standard amps. That would look like this:

--Top Amp ---Top Spkrs
                     I
Mixer ---Crossover/LMS
                     I
                     -- Bass Amp -- Bass Spkrs

Some amps do have built in DSP which allows to act as crossover but this tends to be at the higher end of the market so probably out of your budget range at this stage.

For LMS, the  Behringer DCX 2496 is a popular choice, and has lots of features for not too much cost. However it's quite a complex unit to set up so if you are a complete beginner I would suggest to start with an analogue crossover and upgrade to a full LMS once you get your head round that.

Edited by Sonic the hedge - 23 May 2020 at 10:53am
jordanclarkdj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanclarkdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 10:01am
Thanks for that makes sense the way you explained to set up

I am a complete beginner , Is their a particular one you could recommend ? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic the hedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 10:09am
This will do what you need

Behringer is a budget/low cost choice but it works ok so it's ideal when you are starting out. 

You didn't mention what you will be using for Mid-Top, for a beginner set up any set of half decent full range speakers will do the job fine, it will sound a whole lot better with the added bass bins with separate amp.

(Edited for dead link!)

Edited by Sonic the hedge - 23 May 2020 at 10:54am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanclarkdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 11:30am
Much appreciated

I have just bought that crossover you sent in the link

at the moment I have not seen a design for mid tops yet, I dont want nothing too huge though just want to build something that will be good enough to last any not fry the drivers in them. 

Cheers
J

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic the hedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by jordanclarkdj jordanclarkdj wrote:

Much appreciated

I have just bought that crossover you sent in the link

at the moment I have not seen a design for mid tops yet, I dont want nothing too huge though just want to build something that will be good enough to last any not fry the drivers in them. 

Cheers
J

Regarding mid tops, when you are starting out it's usually much cheaper and easier to buy something pre-built second hand than building something. I wouldn't know what to recommend but a pair of reflex loaded 15" plus 1" horn are the kind of thing. You can later use them as monitors if your system grows.

Would suggest to do plenty of reading and ask lots of questions on here before buying too much.
Chris Grimshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 10:34pm
I wouldn't ever recommend a 15"/1" box.

In my experience, the midrange will be rough at best. Even if the on-axis response sounds okay, move two feet to the side and the (lack of) dispersion of the 15" cone will mean that the midrange has disappeared.

12"+1", or 15"+1.4".

Chris
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic the hedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Chris Grimshaw Chris Grimshaw wrote:

In my experience, the midrange will be rough at best. Even if the on-axis response sounds okay, move two feet to the side and the (lack of) dispersion of the 15" cone will mean that the midrange has disappeared.

12"+1", or 15"+1.4".

Chris

I suggested 15" for simple beginner system, to allow a decent amount of midbass/kick, with lowish xover to the bins in a 2 way/3 way system as per OP. But fair point about the horns and dispersion.

If you use ready built full range cabs the horn should be reasonably well matched with the 15" but probably not 1" as you say. Thinking about it I have only ever used cabs like that for monitors where the dispersion required is much narrower.

Edited by Sonic the hedge - 24 May 2020 at 11:11pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanclarkdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by Sonic the hedge Sonic the hedge wrote:

Originally posted by Chris Grimshaw Chris Grimshaw wrote:

12"+1", or 15"+1.4".

Chris

I suggested 15" for simple beginner system, to allow a decent amount of midbass/kick, with lowish xover to the bins in a 2 way/3 way system as per OP. But fair point about the horns and dispersion.

If you use ready built full range cabs the horn should be reasonably well matched with the 15" but probably not 1" as you say. Thinking about it I have only ever used cabs like that for monitors where the dispersion required is much narrower.

Thank you both that makes sense, I'll make sure to buy a 1.4'' if I go for the 15inch mid/top build.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanclarkdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 11:18pm

Thank you both that makes sense, I'll make sure to buy a 1.4'' if I go for the 15inch mid/top build.  
Fred_dibna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 8:52pm
Just in case you did want to go the amplifier with built in crossover route the QSC PLX series are excellent amps, they have a 100hz low and 100hz high pass filters that you can switch on. Just a thought. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanclarkdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 8:58pm
Thank you for that

I ended up buying a Behringer CX2310 crossover for £68
and a Behringer KM1700 amplifier for £155 

and I already have a EP4000 amp so this should get me started for running my bass and tops from 
 Post Reply Post Reply