Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should I build a tapped horn?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I build a tapped horn?
    Posted: 22 May 2020 at 11:05pm
Hello
With lockdown + the extra time on my hands I've been doing alot of toing and froing regarding what speakers i want forming my rig. Thank you to everyone who's helped me so far however I once again have a new idea :P

My primary rig consists of 8 punishers but I recently bought a pair of Stasy 8s (+ MX600s to sit on top) initially to sit on top  of the punishers as a kick bin however i knew that these two bins run very similar ranges and might not be optimal to own both; I just needed to fall in love with the Stasy's enough to consider selling the punishers. Mission accomplished! Now I'm here:

I plan to run 4 Stasy's doing about 45-160 on their own and the MX600s running 160+ but I'm wanting a bin to sit beneath the stasy's and fill in from 20-50 as this was the same gap I've noticed in my rig from a long time running punishers. From the research I've done it seems like a tapped horn is probably what I want in this respect and have spent the last week learning the ins + outs so should be cracking on with simulation soon.

What I'm asking here is, do other forum members think that a tapped horn is the right cab for the job? I'm aware 20-50 is a small frequency band but for the music I play it's super super important, was able to get EQ a fair bit of it out but i could never get it perfect and seen how much of my musical pleasures reside in that end of the spectrum I feel like in an effort to craft my ears' perfect rig such a box might be worth a shot.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 11:23pm
What music are you playing that requires 20Hz? 

To obtain 20Hz that sounds subjectivity as loud as the 40Hz+ region is going to be super expensive to accomplish.

30Hz is probably a more realistic F3 point, still very low by any standards, and something only the larger and best designed systems achieve properly.

Tapped horns can no doubt provide large quantities of low sub, but personally i find them very inconsistent in performance and im also not keen on the sound quality. 
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
junoprobelaunch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 1:40am
Absolutely nothing that requires 20hz but I'm sure extension that low would be nice to have for alot of the modern neurofunk / techhy madness that I play quite alot, mainly had that number in mind as i see it quoted in a fair amount of pre existing tapped horn designs and thought with a very tight band in band it may be achievable but definitely not super hung up on it.

Could you elaborate further on what you don't like about them ? Not overly familiar with them other than knowing that they can easily produce that region but not especially clued up on their pro audio applications.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 9:33am
The 20Hz extension question will come down to budget, whilst it may be possible to produce these frequencies in a closed loop environment such as a home cinema or car etc at modest expense  the challenge of driving these ultra low frequencies into the environment typically encountered in an entertainment setting ( club, theatre, outdoor ) requires a vast amount of energy, and expense. 

My problem with the tapped horns is merely subjective and personal and its not for me to tell you if they are suitable for your application. Im yet to hear a tapped horn subwoofer that i have been satisfied by.  Im sure many others have.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 9:41am
And do you have a truck big enough to move them? Anything to drop that low will be big.   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 9:58am
Have you looked at the Othorn? Thats about as big as id go, any bigger and moving it would be an enormous pain.   https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/193418-othorn-tapped-horn.html

Its quite an expensive build as its loaded with a 21SW152-4 and powering it properly needs a proper amp, like 4000 watts per channel at 4 ohm to power one cab per channel. Looking at this will make it clear why hitting 20hz with meaningful efficiency is hard. I suspect you dont realise how low 20hz is, music kinda stops at 30hz regardless of genre. 

Edited by citizensc - 23 May 2020 at 9:59am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 4:50pm
Okay ye maybe im being a bit dreamy wit 20hz, 30hz will be plenty low enough for sure. In regards to the Othorn, would 4 of them be enough to keep up with the 4 stasys?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 4:56pm
Sure gonna be a hefty task but one I'm up more than keen for, feel like i've perfected my rig in every possible way excceeeppt low end extension so if I have to splash out hard just for these extra 20-30hz that have been illuding me, so be it :)
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 5:05pm
The stasys 8 should be far more efficent, I think it's more about 2 othorn to 1 stasys, as othorn is tuned that low.
An higher tuned design would be more efficient.

If you are not decided allready on a tapped horn you could also consider skhorn or skram design, works also with cheaper drivers, not as difficult to build.

hectorberman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hectorberman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 8:46pm
Thats going to be a lovely sounding rig when finished, with some serious power!
We are upgrading our bass section to golden ratio c-2e paraflex subs. 
Ive yet to hear them in action but on paper they seem to be rather promising. Definately not going to be hitting anywhere near 20hz though!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Jo bg Jo bg wrote:

The stasys 8 should be far more efficent, I think it's more about 2 othorn to 1 stasys, as othorn is tuned that low.
An higher tuned design would be more efficient.

If you are not decided allready on a tapped horn you could also consider skhorn or skram design, works also with cheaper drivers, not as difficult to build.

Wow those two look awesome! Thank you for that pointer, think the SKHorn is more up my alley looks like it'll fulfill my needs awesomely

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by hectorberman hectorberman wrote:

Thats going to be a lovely sounding rig when finished, with some serious power!
We are upgrading our bass section to golden ratio c-2e paraflex subs. 
Ive yet to hear them in action but on paper they seem to be rather promising. Definately not going to be hitting anywhere near 20hz though!

Thank you mate ! Kwadrafonik Audio, will be doing lots of lovely bits in the underground scene once this is all over. Nice man! Don't think I've ever even heard paraflex subs :O
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>