Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Limiter settings?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Limiter settings?
    Posted: 24 May 2020 at 10:15pm
Right I have a db-Mark DP26+ and am wondering what limiter settings to use. I have four dual 18" subs rated at 1,600 watts continuous average power and they're 4 ohms being powered by two Behringer NX6000 one sub per channel which is said to output about 1,500 watts continuous average power into a 4 ohm load. I also have two dual 15" mid/highswhich are rated at 1,000 watts continuous average power and are 4 ohms. They're gonna be powered by a QSC RMX4050HD that can output 1,400 watts continuous average power per channel into 4 ohms. My subs-mid/highs are crossed over at 90hz.

Now my confusion is, I have an RCF app on my phone to find out limiter settings but do I input the peak power handling of my speakers and subs or the continuous average power? I figured peak because inputting their continuous power would be wrong for setting a peak limiter. So i'm hazy about settings including what attack and release settings to use because times can be varied massively depending on  frequency.
Fred_dibna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 8:44pm
Ok I worked out my limiter settings but i'm curious about threeshold, is the output limiter threshold only relevant if you intend on using the amp's input attenuators on full? What if you want maximum dynamic range? I never turn my amp's attenuators on full I normally set gain structure right upto the amps inputs and then adjust the amps in attenuators last so they never need to be on full. I know doing this this way increases the system dynamic range and keeps the noise floor as low as it can be.
 Post Reply Post Reply