Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

who has a CNC?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 3:42pm
You get what you pay for. It is an interesting project for those who just want simple 2D work and are space limited. Personally I would want something more tried and tested. A big part of CNC result quality when pushing to cutting faster and heavier is the mass and rigidity of your tool to help damp vibration and resonance. I just cannot see those little units being capable of much more then light cuts in thin wood but I will admit I have never seen one in the real world.
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

Sounds like a reasonable tool spec, can you post a link to it? 

These are what Ive been looking at.

They don't list the specs on the site been told the frame is made of 75mmx75mmx3mm steel box section, spindle, motors, liner rails as mentioned and using 16mm ball screw drive with pre loaded nut.
In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 10:53pm
Yoi dont need a vacuum bed for cutting plywood. You will never ne able to cut all the way down.

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 11:53am
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Yoi dont need a vacuum bed for cutting plywood. You will never ne able to cut all the way down.

Why not, just put a piece of porous material such as MDF between your workpiece and bed. Vacuum clamp through it and reskim it as needed. Put a new piece on when it is needed. This is how a lot of shops do it, you just need the right type of pump. I.e. lowish vacuum but plenty of airflow.

O.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by dlyxover dlyxover wrote:

Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

Sounds like a reasonable tool spec, can you post a link to it? 

These are what Ive been looking at.

They don't list the specs on the site been told the frame is made of 75mmx75mmx3mm steel box section, spindle, motors, liner rails as mentioned and using 16mm ball screw drive with pre loaded nut.

It's definitely on the cheap end of things, the welded steel frame should be stronger than Al extrusions but I'd wonder how true and flat it really was. Probably not a huge issue if it moves smoothly. The gantry and z-axis design looks possibly prone to twisting under strong forces but for wood should be fine.

Rails are on the cheaper end, I would be looking for the 4 bearing race Hiwin/THK truck blocks personally.

Not a terrible looking tool by any means but defnitely going for the more econmical end of the market. If it suits your needs give it a go. For wood cutting only I expect it would be plenty strong enough.

Do get some proper dust extraction in their asap though, not just for your health but otherwise those rails and bearing blocks are going to get very quickly full of crud.

Spindle and motors pretty standard chinese stuff, good value for money - why not. VFD is nice to have.

Good starting machine if it is in your budget I'd say, if you outgrow it then I imagine it will make enough money to pay for itself by the time you need to upsize to the next level.
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 12:49pm
Thanks ocd04r, your input is appreciated 

I work with a company that have Bessie Rover, I'm not presuming it will be anywhere near that monster.

For what I'll be using it, mainly sheet goods, some carving and slab flattening maybe cutting aluminium it looks like one of the better machines on the market.

The others machine like the ooznest workbee do seem very good value, by the time you factor in assembly, purchase of a spindle (I don't want a trim router screaming at me) control PC and software there's very little price difference.

Extraction is a priority, completely agree.  Was going to task my 2hp extractor with the job.

Also looking at a DIY vacuum table as you mentioned, keeping my eye out for a used 5Kw vacuum pump.
In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12