Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tips for first time builder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danparrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips for first time builder
    Posted: 31 May 2020 at 6:32pm
Hi guys, I'm getting a pair martin 215 markIIIs CNC cut and putting it all together myself. Any tips for my first time building?
E.g Equipment I'll need, screw size to use, what glue to use, what size wheels to add (will be about 100kg loaded)
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 7:52pm
A brad nail gun is useful but requires a compressor also.

I would recommend 4x40mm screws, I like the torx head.

I use ever build 502 not had any issues, unless cold; goes chalkey.

or if you want a waterproof glue go for the D4

A standard for castors is the 100mm like these
You want put tee nuts on the inside of the cab M6 will be sufficent.

Have fun Smile

Edited by dlyxover - 31 May 2020 at 7:55pm
In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 8:24pm
Jury is out on here,  but i prefer fully threaded inserts to t nuts for fitting drivers. If a thread seized it'll still come out.  T nuts for handles, top hats and wheels.  

Dry fit and clamp everything up before you glue to make sure it's all snug and square.  

Have the right size clamps for the job.  It's just much easier and the finish is better as a result.  

danparrott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danparrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 10:27am
Amazing thanks both of you, how many clamps would you say I’ll need?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danparrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 11:57am
Will gorilla glue do the job?

The one you reccomended is out of stock 
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 2:22pm
Gorilla glue is OK, but messy, and not quite as strong as PVA. If it's all you can get then it will be fine. With 4x40mm screws as well, the box will be strong.

As for clamps - n+1 ;)

I'd start by buying four long clamps and four small ones. That should see you through a few builds. But you'll always want more!
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 2:52pm
That gorilla glue is like a pva. I suspect you're thinking of the polyurethane gorilla glue. 

The glue in the link is good, I've used it to build cabs.  It dries fast, and the bottle has a really good applicator. Like all glues, pop the top off and wash it when you're finished and it'll stay good for the whole bottle.  

Clamps, studio 45 nailed it, you always need one more than you have.  

4 sash clamps and 4 pistol grip clamps will get you started., and you can build up as you need.  I like the irwin heavy duty ones but they're fairly expensive.  

Edited by JonB67 - 01 June 2020 at 2:52pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danparrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 3:46pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danparrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 4:36pm
Would people recommend using tee nuts for the access panels too? The handles are on the access panels

Edited by danparrott - 01 June 2020 at 4:37pm
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 6:06pm
 Those clamps you've linked too will do the job of holding smaller panels but you'll want some longer sash clamps for the larger panels; 

I'd also get a rubber mallet to tap panels into place to make sure everything is perfectly square before screwing together. I'd normally recommend threaded inserts for the access panels (and the driver, as already said) but as the handles are on the access panels I'd probably use T-nuts (on the handles and panels).

Boxes-R-Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxes-R-Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2020 at 1:32am
Put copper slip (copper loaded grease) on Caster and driver bolts..

Complete waste of time until you need to take them out and then it all becomes clear!!!

I would also use drywall (plasterboard) screws (with the supplied driver bit) as they don't corrode. If not those Screwfix TurboGold save so much time it is not funny..
Kinda Been there, Kinda done that, YOU COULDN'T handle my bar bill!
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2020 at 8:24pm
What drivers are you planning? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>