Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

help with designing kick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totalAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help with designing kick
    Posted: 31 May 2020 at 6:37pm
Hi guys, im just wondering if anyone could help shed some light on something for me.
im about to start designing a cab but im not sure of what type of cab it is i need to select on horn resp?
i have read through the guide on here so i know what horn resp is and how to use it (pending real trial)
the attached image will show what sort of cab im planning on building, any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Edited by totalAudio - 31 May 2020 at 6:42pm
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 8:02pm
You need to select OD option for offest driver horn.
First segment will be from start ofthe horn to middle of the drivers, second from middle of the drivers outward, you can use third and fourth to model expansion to the mouth.
You can put volume inside cone of drivers in vtc OR account for that volume at s2
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 8:04pm
I think you will nothave much at kick frequencies with a horn that short, the cabs beneath seem more like it.

You could port your design to extend lower.
totalAudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totalAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 8:56pm
that's great thank you jo :)

i had looked at this earlier but just wasn't if it was correct or not. As for not getting much kick i may have my freq. ranges wrong

the depth of the horn in the picture is 80cm, i will change this depending on outcome as im not replicating but remodelling in a modern driver scenario

my intended freq. range is going to be from 100hz to 350hz which the cabs pictured above run very easily (they are owned by myself )

i will update with my progress, thanks for helping me find my direction
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 10:29am
If you post here your  sim we can help.
To verify usable output put filters in place eith the filterwizard and check excursion and driver power.
Use multiple speaker option if going to use this in multiples.

The hornn seemed shorter from the pic , itcould work.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totalAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 10:23am
Ok so I managed to run a sim of (what I think) is the correct thing I want.

Would you mind taking a look and just seeing if im on the right track?

The calculations come back pretty horrible but in the right direction possibly

I'm pretty new and this is the first sim I've managed from start without following an example

Yeh the pic looks really bad for depth and size ref :P

All help is greatly appreciated, regards

Terry

Edited by totalAudio - 02 June 2020 at 10:34am
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 12:07pm
The last part of the horn near the mouth doesn't look like it's a straight section in the picture, it looks like it has the highest flare rate of all the sections. If that's correct (hard to see) then your 3th segment is of.

Something always good to check is, if your simulated system volume, plus wood/ material, etc. adds up to same external volume of your cabinet. It's usually a quick way to see if you're on the right track.

Edited by mobiele eenheid - 02 June 2020 at 12:08pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totalAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 12:42pm
Ok I will get that checked out, Thank you

I have uploaded some pictures below that hopefully show the horn better.

A question, I have read through the hornresp guide here in the forums and still find unclear how to make the top and bottom parallel?

Im probably missing something easy, but the help file on hornresp is long since dead on my OS.

Many thanks
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 3:19pm
Set the cursor on the segment length and press P, that changes it from CON to PAR, however the factual difference in simulation is minor.
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 7:32pm
S1 seems way to big, at horn start the volume seems minimal.
The cab seems expanding faster (good thing ) in the last section, while you keep s4 same size as s3, as if the walls were parallel.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totalAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 10:28pm
Thanks guys.

I have been fiddling all day until I picked up my daughter and have managed to work out some of the kinks. Still got some to work out but it looks pretty promising.

I will post more HR data tomorrow when I get access to the computer again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totalAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 2:25pm
Ok, as I promised, the current sims for my project:

I know this is not really finished just wondering what you guys think so far?

This is my first sim and I'm really enjoying learning.

All help is appreciated and all comments welcomed.

Edit:
Can anyone explain where this phenomena comes from? is it driver or horn characteristic maybe?

How could I combat this?

Edited by totalAudio - 03 June 2020 at 2:41pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>