Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to get more crisp clear highs from?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by mikehende mikehende wrote:

Not recently but remember I had changed the drivers a few times over the past few years and nothing had given me the highs I am seeking which is why I am thinking well if the JBL and other drivers could not give me the highs I need then best try to go with a different horn.
give the gaps a clean, defore you start spending 100x the value of the boxes on something untried 
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 7:35pm

nothing had given me the highs I am seeking which is why I am thinking well if the JBL and other drivers could not give me the highs I need then best try to go with a different horn.

Your main problem is a lack of proper EQ, all of these drivers are capable of better sound than what you get just plugging them in.

Edited by Conanski - 05 June 2020 at 7:35pm
Fred_dibna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 7:47pm
I used to have a pair of Peavey Hi-Sys 4XT cabs and although they were loud the compression drivers had rip your head off sound to them the 22XT compressions did. The Black Widow drivers also sounded muddy in the midrange to me whether I heard my own Hi-Sys 4XT cabs, UL215H or SP4 cabs. The 22xt compression drivers were one of the most harsh sounding compression drivers i've ever heard. I'd say you're best off selling them and if you like Peavey try and find some UL15 or something or maybe some SP2.
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 8:58pm
I can't see that this is related either to my eq or crossover settings.

I was always impressed with the EV eliminator and Some Yamaha tops, maybe I can look into those which would be a little easier to come by locally.

like this:

Edited by mikehende - 05 June 2020 at 9:23pm
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 9:58pm

I can't see that this is related either to my eq or crossover settings.

I was always impressed with the EV eliminator and Some Yamaha tops, maybe I can look into those which would be a little easier to come by locally.

like this:

What are you actually trying to achieve? 
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 10:18pm
Get better highs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 10:28pm

Get better highs.
In what sense/scenario? 
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2020 at 12:59am
I don't know what to say to that aside from all I have already explained.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2020 at 12:45pm
So I think what people have said about EQ is the ticket here. Not spending money on new tweeters.

Seriously the unprocessed response of that horn+driver is nothing but a big lump of 1.5-4kHz with very little on either side. BUT it should have enough sensitivity and headroom to allow you to EQ that out. 

You are going to want to make some BIG cuts in the 2-4kHz area and then increase the overall tweeter drive level. You may need to apply over 12dB of correction (ie a -12dB cut in the hi mids and then +12dB drive). Your measurement mic will tell you what's required. If you're currently just running small cuts and boosts, and it's still not sparkling, you need to go further.

This called power shaping, and manufacturers like to pretend it's not necessary because their drivers are sooooo flat, well that's never the case. You have to WRANGLE the drive signal for a big horn in order to get a flat output. 

Edit to add - You're never going to achieve flat response to 20Khz, of course. For that you absolutely would need extra supertweeters. But you should be able to get it out to at least 15-16kHz. Excessive output in the hi-mids will mask higher frequencies to your ears/brain, making them appear even quieter than they are.

Edited by studio45 - 06 June 2020 at 3:45pm
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2020 at 3:39pm
" I was always impressed with the EV eliminator "

EV - and (most) JBL tops - are really good. But then look at the price tag - especially for new diaphragms. And if those Eliminators are well used, they may need replacing. Well worth factoring into any sums you are doing.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2020 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

EV - and (most) JBL tops - are really good. But then look at the price tag - especially for new diaphragms. And if those Eliminators are well used, they may need replacing. Well worth factoring into any sums you are doing.

The eliminator and the peavey box are both at best average 'disco derek' type boxes. 
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2020 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Digbethdave Digbethdave wrote:

Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

The eliminator and the peavey box are both at best average 'disco derek' type boxes. 

Ok - I don´t think I´ve actually heard an Eliminator. There are a few EV Deltamax DML 1152´s still in action around here - which I do like, but of course need their controller to sound good.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>