Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lockdown Experiments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lockdown Experiments
    Posted: 03 June 2020 at 10:16pm
I've had plenty of spare time recently due to having no real work to do. Finally got around to trying a few ideas I've been thinking about for a while.

I had to use cheap nasty ply as it was all I could get, and will ultimately end up in a skip anyway. Drivers will be whatever I can find in the house or borrow from other boxes for now, I'm just testing the layout really.

The box uses 2 10", 2 6", 2 1"

Mid and HF horns are made from GRP. Unfortunately the local garage/ convenience shop only sells kits containing rather heavy mat, and doesn't have gelcoat, so they are a bit of mess...

I made the moulds for the horns from silicone poured into wooden patterns for the mid, and a plaster cast from an MDF pattern for the HF.

I later remade the mid horn moulds as they wouldn't flex enough, so I made some pre curved ones.
Blahblahblah
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 11:39pm
awesome, be good to see it finished, loaded and some response plots

Smile
In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth
JulianDA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulianDA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 11:56pm
Thats some awesome DIY! And the idea to use silicone molds for the real curvy horns is nothing but genius. Thumbs up for that! Clap
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 9:11pm
I made some rear chambers for the 10" drivers, using a cut down plastic plant pot for a mould. GRP is the obvious choice, but as an experiment I also made one from a Stella box, a magazine, and lots of PVA. It is much stronger than I thought it would be, but took nearly a whole day to make. The GRP one took less than 2 hours, and I expect this to be less in future as my fibre glassing skills hopefully improve.

Blahblahblah
chris_k View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 9:54pm
I remember when speakerplans was like this when i first joined. People posting build pics, experimenting.
Excellent stuff!
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 9:56pm
I loaded the mid drivers, they came from some hifi speakers, I don't know the specs for them. The free air resonance was around 60Hz, a bit too low, so I sealed up the baskets with plastic and epoxy. This pushed the resonance up to around 500Hz. I have no idea where the mass roll off or inductance roll off will be.

I already have around 50 measurements, I won't put all of them up here!

First is around 1m from the front of the cab, on axis, no EQ or filters. The low end is better than expected, I can't do much about the top end until I get the proper drivers. The dip around 1.5kHz is worrying- crossover to the comp drivers needs to be higher than that.

Thinking the dip was caused by the open (both ends) hf horn between the 2 mid horns, I blocked the mouth of the hf horn with ply and plasticine. This is the result, an improvement.

Next I unblocked the hf, and blocked both lf horns with cardboard and gaffer tape. The dip returned, as expected, plus a bit more loss around 1kHz. Below 800Hz has flattened though.

Next obvious thing was to try blocking hf and lf, this gave me a new narrow dip above 1kHz.

The big question is how this will all change when all the drivers are in.
Blahblahblah
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 10:04pm
Plasticine cardboard and gaffer tape? LOL

You're a legend, this is awesome and I'm subscribing to this thread. 
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 10:53pm
That's great stuff! Loving the creativity. Hell of an experiment, and the weirdest "adult toys" I have ever seen. At least I assume that's what the pink silicone is all about really?
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 11:07am
fantastic.
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 8:48pm
I put the other drivers in today. It was a bit tricky getting the lower compression driver bolts in.

Hopefully next week I'll get some more measurements done.
Blahblahblah
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 9:03pm
Are the front baffles/guides asymmetric? 
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Digbethdave Digbethdave wrote:

Are the front baffles/guides asymmetric? 

Which bit? The ply horn mouth is 100 degrees, 50 left, 50 right.
Blahblahblah
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>