Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lockdown Experiments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by doober doober wrote:

Originally posted by Digbethdave Digbethdave wrote:

Are the front baffles/guides asymmetric? 

Which bit? The ply horn mouth is 100 degrees, 50 left, 50 right.
it looks abit on the wonk in all the photos
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 10:16pm
The whole box is a bit wonky, the cheap ply is warped. Shouldn't be too far out though, I marked out the base and top accurately to get that 100 degrees correct.
Blahblahblah
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 10:28pm
Fair 
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by doober doober wrote:

The whole box is a bit wonky, the cheap ply is warped. Shouldn't be too far out though, I marked out the base and top accurately to get that 100 degrees correct.

As a prototype/proof of concept, it docent matter.

great work 
In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2020 at 4:02pm
Fantastic work! Especially with that whaney ply!

Are you concerned at all about reflections inside the horn mouth? Seems like a large parallel area there, I might be tempted to put some absorbent material on the top and bottom to catch some errant waves?
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 10:47am
That is a very good point. I didn't consider the parallel top and bottom of the mouth, my main interest in this prototype is the interaction of the individual horns in the horizontal plane, and achieving smooth horizontal coverage. If I build a proper version it will be curved in the vertical plane and not have these parallel walls.

Interestingly the dip I am getting in the mid horn plots has a wavelength equal to the height of the box. I might try some van lining carpet on the top and bottom and see what happens.

More testing will happen today.
Blahblahblah
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2020 at 6:13pm
I did some more testing today. Putting some thin carpet covering on the top and bottom horn walls made a sight difference, so I left it there. I also made some phase bungs out of plasticine, this helped the top end of the 6" drivers a bit, but they still need more top end.

Testing was done in the garden. I think the sharp dips in some of the plots were caused by the walls, the dips moved if I tried in another part of the garden.

Low mid. This is the average of 5 measurements from 0 to 40 degrees horizontally.

Mid next, again an average of 5 measurements.

HF, average of 5 again.

A huge loss of HF in the above plot. The plot was done with the speaker and mic on the ground. Here's one I did earlier with the cab on the workbench and the mic on axis

Looking at the individual plots which made the averages, they do vary slightly, but are within ~2dB at all points from 0-40 degrees, with a fairly smooth roll off after that.
Blahblahblah
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2020 at 8:32pm
Blahblahblah
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2020 at 12:01pm
Nice,  like it Clap
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
Sound Chippy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sound Chippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 3:21pm
Awesome stuff Kieran, really enjoy absorbing myself in the projects you have shared with us. Its a wonderful sight seeing sawdust getting made on S.P again. Top work. Thanks again.
Kind regards Dave
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2020 at 8:20pm
I got some proper mid drivers and made some bowls for the back

This is new drivers versus the unknown 'hi-fi' ones I was using. The traces aren't exactly matched for level, the actual improvement in overall level isn't quite as big as it looks on here, there is a very noticeable increase at the upper end though.

I've still got that nasty dip just below 2kHz, I'm still trying to work out what's causing it.
Blahblahblah
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2020 at 10:39am
I had a good poke around with the measuring mic, putting it right inside the mid horns, and the dip below 2k is still there right inside the horns. This makes me think it is not some interaction between the individual horns or some mouth reflections, the problem lies closer to the baffle.

Out of curiosity I decided to measure the drivers without horns, just in the rear bowl.

This was measured approx. 50cm from the driver, on axis.

Interesting dip still there, so I tried some wadding in the bowl, this made little difference, so I tried some 'egg box' foam.

A small improvement, nothing to get excited about though. Next I tried moving the mic up close to the driver.

Dips are back. Not surprising really. I tried this with and without foam or wadding, foam made a very small improvement, but clearly these dips are the result of arrival time/phase differences across the cone.

I have now made another baffle so I can try front chamber tweaks to try and reduce these dips.
Blahblahblah
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>