Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lockdown Experiments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2021 at 5:00pm
Yeah it looks a bit bad on that plot, even considering the scale of the plot. Here's another one of just the mid

Still some dips, I think this one was taken in the mouth too. The dividers in the mouth are not far off parallel in this box, I think this contributes to the dips when measured close up. Here's a nice paint illustration of the problem- lots of different length paths to the mic

I expect these problems to lessen at a distance as the path differences become less significant. Hopefully. This box isn't intended to be listened to close up, I doubt anyone will be within 15m of it when in use.

Your plot looks good, do you have a link to more information about the box?
Blahblahblah
kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2021 at 1:41pm
There is more info about the box here:
(just mid and high unity horn the lower 15" is conventional vented).

Hopefully it all is fine in the far field! what are the target specs for this box?
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 1:00pm
I finally managed to get outside and do some testing on a dry day with very little wind.

Here's a full range plot after setting delays and eq

I then did 10 measurements in different places on and off axis. The traces with dips around 3kHz were the measurements made further away, not sure what causes this dip yet.

Here's the average of them

I also tried turning the box on it's side to get measurements on and off axis vertically, but this caused huge cancellations wherever I put the mic. I really can't work out why though.
Blahblahblah
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 1:16pm

The cabinet offers the characteristics of a Multi-cellular Horn. Have you considered measuring the cabinet from each cell to determine if the the cancellations are other than cells creating havoc among-st one another at certain frequencies? 

Best Regards,    
Elliot Thompson
JulianDA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulianDA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 2:37pm
I dont really understand why you put the horizontal dividers infront of the mid and hf sections. These will for sure cause resonances between the parallel faces (maybe you can spot the resonaces in your frequency response by calculating the corresponding wavelenghts with the distance of your dividers).
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

The cabinet offers the characteristics of a Multi-cellular Horn. 

Yes I see what you are saying, multi-cells are known for lobing.

I always thought this was partially down to the curved walls of the individual cells to create an exponential flare. Assuming wave fronts travel at 90 degrees to the horn wall this would make them curved or domed at the exit, preventing them from joining up with wave fronts from adjacent cells. I thought this would not be an issue with my flat pieces, but giving it some more thought there must be a point where the wavelength is too large compared to the length and height of the cells therefore it just diffracts at the exit, potentially making more lobing than if they weren't there.

Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Have you considered measuring the cabinet from each cell to determine if the the cancellations are other than cells creating havoc among-st one another at certain frequencies?  

I have tried measuring at the exit of each cell- there is certainly havoc there, I can't get a decent measurement anywhere. There isn't any consistency with the cancellations.

Thanks for the input, it has given me more to look into and consider.
Blahblahblah
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by JulianDA JulianDA wrote:

I dont really understand why you put the horizontal dividers infront of the mid and hf sections. These will for sure cause resonances between the parallel faces (maybe you can spot the resonaces in your frequency response by calculating the corresponding wavelenghts with the distance of your dividers).

That is a good point, I was unsure whether to use them or not. They are not glued in, I might remove them to see if there is much difference.

The partial drawing below shows the box I intend to use below the current one, it is noticeable that the dividers make a series of horns which get progressively more vertical flare and less throat area from top to bottom. None of these pieces are actually parallel, although the top pair aren't far off. The idea is to create a system where the amplitude is asymmetric allowing less SPL difference between front and rear of the audience, with this achieved mechanically rather than using many amp and DSP channels.

Then I remembered this array from a few years back

No top or bottom horn walls at all on there. Presumably this works due to the physical displacement and the aim of the waveguides as they form a progressive curve. My mid and high components have a similar vertical curve, albeit on a much smaller scale.

One advantage of using the dividers is in construction of the side walls. The very slight angles between each section make it very difficult to build without the dividers to act as guides. I could always remove them after making the horn walls, gut some reinforcement would be needed on the back of the walls otherwise it would just be glued butt joints holding it in shape.
Blahblahblah
JulianDA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulianDA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by doober doober wrote:

One advantage of using the dividers is in construction of the side walls. The very slight angles between each section make it very difficult to build without the dividers to act as guides. I could always remove them after making the horn walls, gut some reinforcement would be needed on the back of the walls otherwise it would just be glued butt joints holding it in shape.

If i understand correctly, you talk about the sidewalls of the lowmid horns? just keep the dividers there. The Wavelenghts should be long enough that the dividers dont cause to much trouble. Just remove the parts infront of the mid/high horn.
But surely this is just a suggestion if the dividers are not essential for the top end directivity of your box.  
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 10:03pm
The walls of the mid/high flare are particularly difficult to make without a former of some sort. Dividers in the lowmid definitely need to stay, they add stiffness to the box.
Blahblahblah
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 10:16pm

I then did 10 measurements in different places on and off axis. The traces with dips around 3kHz were the measurements made further away, not sure what causes this dip yet.

Is that brown square thing between the mic and speaker a patch of acoustic absorber (a good idea), or are ground reflections affecting the measurements?

Have you tried a set of measurements with the mic on the floor? You'd probably get HF absorption due to the rough surface, but it would show you if any of the dips were caused by reflections.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 11:13pm

I have tried measuring at the exit of each cell- there is certainly havoc there, I can't get a decent measurement anywhere. There isn't any consistency with the cancellations.

Thanks for the input, it has given me more to look into and consider.

The narrowing of dispersion at higher frequencies is common with a lot of designs from various types when multiple drivers are coupled together. 

This is why purist prefer one speaker to play all frequencies. These individuals usually listen to music solely at home, on a 1 watt amplifier, sitting in their easy chair. We cannot follow such principals as we produce sound to the masses. 

Unless you are going into production with this design or, notice something is missing while playing music, you should not stress yourself about it. As your design offers a Multi-cellular concept, you will notice your mid range will be very prominent (in a positive way) when playing vocal and/or percussion tracks at a great distance.

You can research papers written by Don Keele. Don Keele was the first person to rectify the problem caused by multi-cellular lobbing and introduced various horns on the market around 50 years ago. Don Keele also created a line array in an angular fashion to reduce the lobbing affect caused by the majority of Line Arrays on the market today. This will allow you to prepare yourself for such objectives when the next project arise.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 23 February 2021 at 11:16pm
Elliot Thompson
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2021 at 8:50am
Originally posted by madboffin madboffin wrote:

Is that brown square thing between the mic and speaker a patch of acoustic absorber (a good idea), or are ground reflections affecting the measurements?

Have you tried a set of measurements with the mic on the floor? You'd probably get HF absorption due to the rough surface, but it would show you if any of the dips were caused by reflections.

The brown square is a piece of cheap plywood which I initially tried placing the mic on with the capsule nearly touching it, in the hope that it would reduce ground reflections. I couldn't get any decent readings above around 3k with that setup, there was very little hf being picked up. It was similar with the mic just lying on the ground. I found the measurements were best with the mic off the ground as shown in the photo.

One thing I didn't do was take some close measurements, these were done at around 6m minimum. I might try some indoor measurements up close with the same settings and see how it looks.

When I do the next round of testing I might go for a more real world setup and put the box up high, 3 or 4 metres, or as high as the forklift will go.
Blahblahblah
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>