Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crossover losses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crossover losses
    Posted: 05 June 2020 at 7:20pm
Does anyone know what kind of losses going through a passive crossover network can result in when you power a pair of p.a speakers compared to running the same p.a speakers biamped and not using the internal crossover network at all? I mean how many decibels spl output is it roughly, as a guess? Or is it not even noticeable?

Edited by Fred_dibna - 05 June 2020 at 7:21pm
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Fred_dibna Fred_dibna wrote:

Does anyone know what kind of losses going through a passive crossover network can result in when you power a pair of p.a speakers compared to running the same p.a speakers biamped and not using the internal crossover network at all? I mean how many decibels spl output is it roughly, as a guess? Or is it not even noticeable?
The driver is still going to get the required power. 
Is this a real question? 
Fred_dibna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 7:41pm
Yeah it is a real question I thought it was about 3-10% loss due to crossover networks I guess maybe in real worl spl output terms it's not noticeable, I should of asked in percent not decibels. I read a lot and depending on who writes or types as we do online it's supposedly about 3% loss. Someone mentioned 40% loss but then someone else said if the crossover network was responsible for that kind of loss the crossover network would be red hot.

I was just curious really as to what losses there are and moreover what are the real benefits to running biamped apart from being able to power the low and high drivers seperately. I guess it's better to  use a seperate amp that you can turn down or turn up than to use eq to adjust level of the low or high frequency drivers.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 7:46pm
A passive crossover by design will consume/absorb some power but not enough to be noticeable. The big advantage of bi-amping is it usually comes with the ability to do much better processing which usually results in much better sound. A passive crossover can also perform really well but getting it to that point involves a lot of time and experimentation.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 7:47pm

Yeah it is a real question I thought it was about 3-10% loss due to crossover networks I guess maybe in real worl spl output terms it's not noticeable, I should of asked in percent not decibels. I read a lot and depending on who writes or types as we do online it's supposedly about 3% loss. Someone mentioned 40% loss but then someone else said if the crossover network was responsible for that kind of loss the crossover network would be red hot.

I was just curious really as to what losses there are and moreover what are the real benefits to running biamped apart from being able to power the low and high drivers seperately. I guess it's better to  use a seperate amp that you can turn down or turn up than to use eq to adjust level of the low or high frequency drivers.
If you are powering it with suitable amplification the output isn't going to be 'less', the passive x/o will eat some, but your still going to be getting the same OP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

A passive crossover by design will consume/absorb some power but not enough to be noticeable. The big advantage of bi-amping is it usually comes with the ability to do much better processing which usually results in much better sound. A passive crossover can also perform really well but getting it to that point involves a lot of time and experimentation.
Hardly worth it on a couple of things on sticks though. 
Fred_dibna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 7:51pm
I just wondered really, I know running mid/highs active to tune filter slopes between the low and high drivers and tune the sound to be better I knew all that anyway but I was just sat here and came across an article about passive crossover networks and thought I wonder if you do lose any power. But anyway thanks.

:)
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 10:23pm
Not a lot is the answer, unless you have ridiculous high value coil passives on subs. Which is why no-one has bothered with them for decades!
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 10:29pm

In the actual passband of the crossover, the loss is zero or as close to it as unmeasurable for what counts. The resistance of the xover in series with its output in the passband is practically zero. It only gets away from it as you go over/under its cut off frequency which is what gives you the crossover action.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 11:22pm
10% is 0.4dB - so not audible
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2020 at 12:22pm
I´d say that the real problem with passives isn´t the power loss, but the anomalies that they can produce, ie phase shifts, notches or peaks - due to the fact that no electronic component is ever "pure", so will introduce some unexpected response. And heat over time will change the value, so could make things worse.

But again - for a couple of cabs on sticks, etc. it may not be worth worrying about - or be that noticeable. The ear is a funny thing - and can actually compensate for these anomalies without you  realising it. Look at psychoacoustics.

You need to actually measure the response of the cab with some software & mic.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2020 at 5:03pm
In many p.a. speakers the high frequency section is more efficient than the low frequency section.

One function of a passive crossover can be "padding down" the high frequency section with resistors that burn off the excess energy as heat.

So in this respect running the same speakers biamped is more efficient, but you need more amp channels.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>