Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horn Enclosure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keith192001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horn Enclosure
    Posted: 06 June 2020 at 1:45pm
Can someone help me design a horn loaded enclosure like the one in the image below; i have a massive audio hippo xl 15'' dual 2 ohm wiring in parallel, i want the enclosure tuned to 50hz.
Danielr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2020 at 3:04pm
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2020 at 3:32pm
Just get an old plywood Tea Chest and cut a hole in it as you will be wasting your money on any other construction!!!!!
keith192001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keith192001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2020 at 3:44pm
Yes that's the driver
Danielr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2020 at 5:15pm
So... Is this for car audio?

keith192001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keith192001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2020 at 6:15pm
Yes it's for car audio, i really want to experience this horn enclosure but i have no knowledge on how to design one.
munkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2020 at 6:43pm
You don't want/need a horn in your car. Ported reflex is what you need

Edited by munkey - 06 June 2020 at 6:44pm
the midtops!
Danielr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2020 at 9:09pm
If you use WinISD (or horn resp) you can copy the parameters of that site to model the driver, and then design a box around it.
WinISD even dives you suggestions as to the box size and an idea of the frequency response.
(my only complaint of winISD is that it does not let you "play" with the port sizing enough...)

but it is easier, if you have no experience modelling and building speakers, then you should (almost certainly) start with WinISD.

If you are building a sealed box...
For your driver, that site claims 75L is sufficient. (~45cm x 45cm x 37cm)
Win ISD suggests a box of 100L (~ 45cm x 45cm x 49cm)
the plots do not show a huge difference between the two.

If you want a ported enclosure...
that site suggests 17.8" x 16.6" x 17.8" (~45cm x ~42cm x ~45cm) (85L)
with a (round) 9.4" (23cm) wide vent that is 8.6" (21cm) deep 
(I has to model that as 2 8.2cm vents (total vent area ~105cm^2) with a tuning frequency of 35Hz
the plot is a bit messy, but has a (significant) hump around 40 - 50Hz (which is what you want?)

WinISD suggests a 166L box, (~45cm x ~45cm x ~81cm)
with a 23hz tuned port (1 10.2cm diameter port that is 20cm long) 
(this gives a reasonably flat curve down to around 23Hz (the roll off is steep though.)
(edit, win ISD says quite flat, horn resp disagrees a bit.)

Edited by Danielr - 06 June 2020 at 9:13pm
Danielr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2020 at 9:12pm
About horns... (that box you posted a picture of is a reflex box with a very large/long flared port.) (so that adds the extra effort of learning how to use hornresp.)
As for "how to model that in horn resp, in your mind, imagine that driver is mounted backwards (outside the box.)

So what you want is, no back box. (because you'll use the flare sections to make a square box), then flare section 2 to make the port opening, then flare section 3 to expand that port opening out to the world.

I looked at the picture, and made some guesses of the dimensions (assuming that's a 15" driver in the picture.)
What you end up with is a baffle that is 40cm x 40cm creating a box that is ~ 35cm deep, (I've allowed 5 to account for the driver volume)
section 1, (Con) S1 = 1600, S2 = 1600 L=30
section 2, (con) S2 = 1600, S3 = 200 L=0.1 (this will let you open a 40cm x 5cm hole in the top of your box, that will be your port.)
Section 3, (con) S3 = 200, S4 = 1400, L=110 (this opens out your square flare over a 1.2m distance (about enough to wrap around the box) opening to a 40cm x 35cm flare opening.

The frequency response is 40(ish) hz, - 90Hz (ish)

reflex schematic.

Reflex frequency response

reflex with a long and wide flared port.

frequency response.

So the total box size is roughly 40cm tall, 70cm long and ~ 50cm deep. - that's 154 litres of space (simulation doesn't account for the volume taken up by drivers or bracing...)

About the same size as the ported reflex that WinISD started all this with, but not dropping as low.

You're also going to have the trouble that no simulation program will consider the cars cabin space. (so all of that is wasted anyway.
I used corner placement loading. (if you change it to center floor it narrows the response even further.) 
all those simulations are for this box placed in the corner of a large room, (not tucked up in the boot of a small car.)

Then you have to consider do you have the tools and the ability to build this horn?
building a reflex box is pretty much Build box, cut a round hole for the speaker, and cut a hole for the port... (and push in a bought port.)
building this flared port in a box is going to involve cutting a lot of mitered edges...

If you want to learn how to use Horn resp, I'd consider following a tutorial for a box, and then playing with the values (one value at a time) and seeing what the effect is.
(so how does port size or length affect the tuning frequency. how does box volume effect frequency responses etc.)

(how big is the car...? - that will complicate things as you need to fit whatever box you build into the space available!)
(have you ever made a speaker enclosure before?)

Like the munkey and the manufacturer said... - What you want is a ported box.
BP1Fanatic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BP1Fanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2020 at 6:29pm
Danielr, your pics are not showing.
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2020 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by keith192001 keith192001 wrote:

Can someone help me design a horn loaded enclosure like the one in the image below; i have a massive audio hippo xl 15'' dual 2 ohm wiring in parallel, i want the enclosure tuned to 50hz.
|That driver has an EBP of 47, it needs a sealed enclosure
Mykey Wattco
AndyWave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2021 at 7:52pm
I have to say that over ten years ago i designed a 30Hz tapped horn for 10" long excursion car hifi driver. It took the whole boot of a Mitsubishi 3000 sports car...It was kind of success, because those who didn't know how horns work, tried to find more hidden sub drivers. LOLLOL

Also the same folks could not believe there was only 600 RMS power to the one poor 10"

So it sort of could be done. Model in 0.5pi for the doors closed and 2pi for boot / doors open. Watch for driver excursion in 2pi....

driver parameters
(Z) 2x2Ω
(fs) 39Hz
(Pmax) 2x300W
(P) 2x200WRMS
(1W/1m) 87dB
(Cms) 0,13mm/N
(Mms) 120g
(Qms) 4,46
(Qes) 0,48
(Qts) 0,43
(Vas) 21 l