Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why do a lot of sounds use CDJ800

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nejten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why do a lot of sounds use CDJ800
    Posted: 07 June 2020 at 1:56pm
Why do I see so many soundsystems using CDJ 800 players? They seem so old and are only able to play cd's. Is cd better than usb for reggae? Talk to me! Smile  
From small acorns oak trees grow.
RealitySound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 1:54am
Back in the day (and still) they are a fraction of the price vs the cdj 1000's. The 1000's have alot of features that aren't really necessary, or used very often in reggae. You can still use the 800's with serato discs if need be. Some dubwise sounds moved to cd's from vinyl to avoid feedback from the turntables and alot less to carry obviously....Cd is not better, just taste. IMO
When you gonna send me some $$ mate ?
Maze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 10:17am
If you use a laptop (Serato box), there's very little to gain by upgrading. Basically, all you use are the basic controls and the platter anyway.
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2020 at 8:46pm
Cost.

You can pick up a CDJ800 for really not that much. 

If you wanted to upgrade to something that can play USB as well as all your burnt CDs, but also have a screen that's usable, you'd need a pair of CDJ900, and they're a LOT more money
nejten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nejten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2020 at 7:02pm
Okay, thanks for making this clear guys!Clap
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2020 at 11:02pm
the CDJ 850s aren't that dear and play USB
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2020 at 12:22am
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

the CDJ 850s aren't that dear and play USB

No link option though...though, tbf, if you're just playing from one deck with a large drive, that's fine :)
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2020 at 11:05am
no there isn't a link option. it just means you have to spend £10 on another memory stick and duplicate everything. it's wise to have more than one memory stick anyway in case it gets accidentally damaged/lost or the player won't read it for some reason.
nejten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nejten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2020 at 12:32pm
Another question: Do you guys prefer tabletop players or rack mounted players and why? 
Rich99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2020 at 2:50pm
I've just picked up a Denon HS5500 for £100 on ebay so giving that a try and will use the rackmount as back up. Even though it is fairly old, it is still a lot more advanced than the rack mounted units. Down side of course, is the laborious job of ripping them all to a new hard drive as the unit itself only has 250GB of storage.
No, I really don't know what I'm doing...
BigSoundNorthWest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigSoundNorthWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2021 at 9:03am
Originally posted by nejten nejten wrote:

Another question: Do you guys prefer tabletop players or rack mounted players and why? 

tabletop, but then, i grew up with 1210s, so its more a "what im used to thing" though i still think theyre easier than rackmount. 
 Post Reply Post Reply