Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Glastonbury 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 6:23pm
The 1971 pic brings back some memories for me--A "massive" WEM pa system that was around the 400 watts mark in total back in the day!!!!!

Edited by Robbo - 30 June 2020 at 6:24pm
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 4:44pm
Oh for a time machine to go back to 1970/71 when it started...wasn't Bowie at the first one? 
Be seeing you.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Oh for a time machine to go back to 1970/71 when it started...wasn't Bowie at the first one? 
Yes - 1971 shows included Hawkwind, Traffic, Melanie, David Bowie, Joan Baez, Fairport Convention and Quintessence. Missed it 'cos I had something else to do (can't for the life of me remember what) but several of my mates did go. Found this pic on Google  - I thought the PA was all WEM but this must have been one of the American bands because IIRC no British bands were using RCA type bins and multicellular horns at that time.

Edited by jazomir - 01 July 2020 at 6:15pm
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 8:16pm
Good video of it, albeit with poor quality sound. Can clearly see the WEM pa John refered to above on some shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSnYmI2FYFg
Be seeing you.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 8:26pm
@27M - Magic Michael & Jesus - haven't seen those two for about 45 years!
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 8:28pm

Good video of it, albeit with poor quality sound. Can clearly see the WEM pa John refered to above on some shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSnYmI2FYFg
Looks like a good watch that. I'll give it ago a bit later. 
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by jazomir jazomir wrote:

Yes - 1971 shows included Hawkwind, Traffic, Melanie, David Bowie, Joan Baez, Fairport Convention and Quintessence. Missed it 'cos I had something else to do (can't for the life of me remember what) but several of my mates did go. Found this pic on Google  - I thought the PA was all WEM but this must have been one of the American bands because IIRC no British bands were using RCA type bins and multicellular horns at that time.

Just watched Nicholas Roeg's 'Glastonbury Fayre' film (on Amazon Prime) a couple of nights ago and there was a lot more than 400 watts there; Heads Hands and Feet used more WEM than that back 1970 when I saw them at Ealing Town Hall.

Just downloaded it and fast forwarded, no sign of any RCA bins and just one shot of the multi-cells behind a half-naked gentleman.  I've screen-grabbed that together with stage left showing 8 WEM 2x15, 4 WEM columns (no idea if they were B or C, wouldn't have thought that they were A) sideways on top of the 2x15s and a couple of the top boxes with 4 Celestions horns in - laid sideways on top of the 15s and the 12s (Health and Safety, what's that).

I've grabbed a shot of stage right while Quintessence were on showing a row of HiWatt columns, and also a long shot of the stage showing what looks to be some more 'not WEM' columns higher up the scaffolding above the WEM columns.

Multicell.

Stage Left.

Hiwatt columns.

Stage long shot.

Edited by BJtheDJ - 01 July 2020 at 11:16pm
If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 1:24am
The RCA bins are visible on the pic I posted earlier on the outsides of the Hiwatt cabs along with the multicellular horn.
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 2:06am

The RCA bins are visible on the pic I posted earlier on the outsides of the Hiwatt cabs along with the multicellular horn.

Gotcha, see them now. 

Someone went to a helluva lotta trouble to hump away the WEM stuff and
put in those bins horns and Hiwatt pa columns; in a couple of the scenes
the words HiWatt Hire co can be seen stencilled on the back of some cabs.
If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 7:16am
Originally posted by BJtheDJ BJtheDJ wrote:

Gotcha, see them now. 

I seem remember that Hiwatt Hire used to supply Implosion at the Roundhouse in the early 70s before Martin Audio's  systems were used. It is possible that one of Jeff Dexter's bands also used Hiwatt Hire.
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2020 at 1:23am
Originally posted by BJtheDJ BJtheDJ wrote:

Gotcha, see them now. 

I'm assuming by the varied selection of mics/stands, and cabs. That potentially bands bought there own kit, I'd also imagine that changeovers might of been more than the normal 15 we have these days. 
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2020 at 11:48am
Yes, It was normal in those days (late 60's / very early 70's) for bands to bring their own PA systems and swap over between support and headliner, or various acts at a festival. Note that PA systems were very small by modern standards.

With 2 or 3 bands playing a City Hall or University venue it was usual to set up all backlines in order of playing (ie headliner upstage and adding others after each soundcheck) and strike them progressively after each performance. And the same would happen with the PA if there wasn't room for them side by side. After each set of PA speakers was struck, the next would be pulled forward into its place.

And everybody sat on the floor to watch the bands, unless the time came to dance about, no mosh pits either...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>