Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Running from 12v or 230ac options

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimjimjimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running from 12v or 230ac options
    Posted: 02 July 2020 at 12:54am
Hi, I am trying to design a small 12v rig at the mo . Probably using one of the Pioneer car amps gmd8704 or similar as they seem popular on here.
I was just pondering on the option to plug into the mains when it was available. What do you think is the best option, separate 230 amp, or are there PSU's suitable to run such an amp, as I say I'm just going through options so no specific specs are set in stone!!
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 3:19am
Any PSU big enough to run several car amps will be bigger and heavier than a proper PA amp so no point to it IMO.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 1:52pm
Hmmmm....some of the switchmode designs are quite capable, and not very big or heavy. "Meanwell" is a good brand to look out for, but there are perfectly good no-name units too. 

Look for something that does 15V at at least 20A, with an adjustment pot to get it down to 14.4 or 13.8v.

Cue arguments about whether a 12v amp sounds better on scoops with a transformer or switchmode supply LOL
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 7:04pm
Meanwell are very decent, I have three in use here, another alternative is a PC power supply, just make sure it is a single rail type.
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2020 at 12:43am
i have a bigger version of one of these... use a 110AH battery as a 'buffer', mine does 60A continuous @ 12v! This one does 40A.

https://www.primetools.co.uk/product/sealey-start420-12v-24v-420-amp-garage-workshop-car-battery-charger-jump-starter/
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2020 at 7:43am
I havent actually tried it myself yet, but i have asked the question before and people said you can just charge your 12v battery whilst using it. 

Just like how you would charge your phone and go on it at the same time. 

I recently bought a Noco G3500 smart charger it seems pretty good. Charges up to 120ah batterys
Jimjimjimmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimjimjimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2020 at 1:03pm
Great I guess that makes sense :) :)

SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2020 at 7:49pm
I've just used beefy ctek chargers in the past. Bear in mind that some chargers rely on microcontrollers to constantly measure battery terminals, and having an amp play loud may confuse it by messing with readings.
 Post Reply Post Reply