Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tilted tops

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foca_Dacian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tilted tops
    Posted: 05 July 2020 at 2:42am
Hello guys,

I have built the following speakers:

MTL46 loaded with B&C 18 TBX100-4 ohms, flatpack from bluearan loaded with B&C 12 NDL76 , B&C DE750TN comps and LTH142 horn from FaitalPro.

and I want to tilt down the tops a few degrees like in this simulation:

What should I build to put under the top and to stay safe in that position?

Edited by Foca_Dacian - 05 July 2020 at 2:43am
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2020 at 9:46am
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2020 at 11:04am
Why do you want to tilt them town? Your HF has the perfect hight when tops are sitting ontop of two subs.

Tilting them down gives you less coverage at the back.
If you need more front coverage, use a couple of small infills.

But your HF horns should have plenty of vertical dispersion to cover just fine.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2020 at 12:00pm
You only need to tilt them down when they're significantly above head height. 

As you have them level is fine unless your audience is seated and really close?!

Foca_Dacian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foca_Dacian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2020 at 12:37pm
I will build 2 more MTL46 so that I can have 3/side in cardioid configuration, that will raise the top to 2.6 m (top part measurement).

I usually do live sound with lots of open mics on a 4mx4m /6mx4m stage and 
usually play loud so cardioid is a must, no room for endfire.

The best solution for me would be to put the tops on truss but I have not found any rigging system that fits my tops and is safe , any ideeas?
I would like to be able to pan and tilt the top so that I can aim the speakers in any type of venue, also would get much better front to back ratio.
Also in this case I could center cluster the subs in cardioid (4 facing forward, 2 facing backward).

Edited by Foca_Dacian - 05 July 2020 at 12:44pm
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2020 at 5:44pm
Acoustic compensater 
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2020 at 6:23pm
Azimuth co-ordinator. Or a brick + ratchet strap.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2020 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Foca_Dacian Foca_Dacian wrote:

I will build 2 more MTL46 so that I can have 3/side in cardioid configuration, that will raise the top to 2.6 m (top part measurement).

The best solution for me would be to put the tops on truss but I have not found any rigging system that fits my tops and is safe , any ideeas?
I would like to be able to pan and tilt the top so that I can aim the speakers in any type of venue, also would get much better front to back ratio.
Also in this case I could center cluster the subs in cardioid (4 facing forward, 2 facing backward).

Obviously flying speakers is not something to be taken on lightly. There is various processes that need to be followed and no insurance company will touch you if someone gets hurt and there is not rigging certs or certificate of new.

BUT what you are probably looking for, for simple DIY rigging is Cargo track / Aeroquip.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2020 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Foca_Dacian Foca_Dacian wrote:

You could get some fly frames made 
 Post Reply Post Reply