Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Crossover points for an 18XB vintage style reflex
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crossover points for an 18XB vintage style reflex

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electric Vintage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crossover points for an 18XB vintage style reflex
    Posted: 05 July 2020 at 7:02pm
I am in the middle of building a small vintage rig influenced by King Tubby's Hometown Hi Fi, Tom the Great Sebastian, Tip-A-Tone etc.

I have two side boxes for the mid/tops and a centre reflex fo sub. For some reason I am really struggling to find the ideal cut off frequency for the XB that's installed. The best sounding so far is 35hz 18bw slope but seeing if anyone has any suggestions. 

I am trying to find an all round sound as we do play everything from early ska, Rocksteady to real heavy Steppas type stuff and the plan it to EQ as we go along. 

Any suggestions?

Running systems nearly as old as himself!
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2020 at 7:08pm
XB probably isn't the one, a studio or b might be better 
Electric Vintage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electric Vintage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2020 at 7:19pm
Unfortunately it's what I have to work with. It's only a small bar system anyway so sub levels will be pretty low, just need to work out what's best.

csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2020 at 7:38pm
The XB will be fine. If you are not pushing things then go with what ever sounds best. If you know the tuning of the box or can measure impedance to find this then you can avoid issues at high power, but for background use I would not worry.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Electric Vintage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electric Vintage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2020 at 7:55pm
Thanks, due to the port size it is tuned to about 33hz, but it does have wadding in so that could be making a difference.

I think what the thing is that my previous systems were more ska, northern soul, early disco so I'm used to tuning more mid style music. Obviously I am playing with much lower frequencies this time, so want to make sure I am in the right ball park and not cutting off to early/late. It might sound strange but it does sometimes sound a bit too subby.

Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2020 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Electric Vintage Electric Vintage wrote:

Thanks, due to the port size it is tuned to about 33hz, but it does have wadding in so that could be making a difference.

I think what the thing is that my previous systems were more ska, northern soul, early disco so I'm used to tuning more mid style music. Obviously I am playing with much lower frequencies this time, so want to make sure I am in the right ball park and not cutting off to early/late. It might sound strange but it does sometimes sound a bit too subby.
Northern soul has loads of bottom end. 
 Post Reply Post Reply